I have officially reached my maximum frustration level as far as my cats getting on my desk. They were decently well-trained to not get up on my old desk, but this desk is something new and also much larger. I have tried to  put things onto most of it in the hopes that they wouldn't knock anything down. This morning I woke to a huge mess on my floor that thankfully didn't include anything like my monitors. Does anyone have any tips for ways to keep cats off of certain furniture? I'm not always at this house on my time off so it's difficult to simply yell at them or enforce them to get down at a consistent trainable rate.

Yeah, last night Prince pointed out the little paw prints on the side of our new refrigerator from my cat climbing up on it. The problem with teaching my cats the rules is that they won't follow them when I'm not looking, haha. I would consider either a sticky paws type thing (basically a sticky sheet you lay down on an area you don't want them walking on- they don't like how their paws stick to it), or SSSCat spray sensor which will detect motion and give them a little spray. 

One last thing to consider is if your cats are using your desk as a means to reach something else. Our cats have been climbing on our desks in the new house to reach windows, so I'll probably put some scratching posts, etc under the windows they are trying to reach to give them a better way up.

They were chilling in one of the front windows before, and my desk doesn't lead to anything else so I know that's not it. I think they just like to lay on new things maybe, or they see me spend time there and want to be there too. The sticky paper sounds like something easy enough to lay on top of whatever I'm working on, thanks for the tip!

We have a weiner dog, he is afraid of everything.

I'm very, VERY stern with my cat when it comes to doing something she is not supposed to do. Maybe spray them with a water bottle once or twice, and keep it near your desk and just shake it at them if they do something they aren't supposed to. 

For my cat I use different methods of discipline depending on how I want to curtail her behavior. For counter tops she gets the spray bottle, this is a good method but your cat will be resentful if you have to spray them all the time. If it is a constant problem try Stick Paws like RedJustice recommenced or aluminum foil works as well. You can use my favorite, clapping, they don't like loud noises and if you catch them just clap once.

when you aren't home you can stick double sided tape or just normal tape to where they like to get up on the desk, they hate having stuff sticking to their paws and wont want to try to get back up there in fear of getting stuff stuck to them again, but also they will freak out and run around the house till the tape comes off their paws, so there is a give and take.

Update: the sticky paws paper has not worked, so I finally splurged and got an automatic sprayer that should spritz them every time they are in front of it. I am going to position it on my desk so that no matter what angle they jump on it from it should detect them. I will let you all know how it goes after I return from a week of vacation and see if they have still gotten on my desk. I also am planning to get some double-sided tape to line the edges, so thank you Abex.

Sorry if I am a little late to this, but a way I keep my cats off my desk is by lighting a citrus candle, or something citrusy on your desk. Also, when they get on your desk, immediately carry them off your desk, and if it continues, than just spray them with a water bottle. But mainly just keep moving them from desk, to floor, constantly and as soon as they get on the desk if possible.

Edit: Cats hate citrus, that's why I recommend it.

Edited by Al Shifra

On 7/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, Al Shifra said:

Sorry if I am a little late to this, but a way I keep my cats off my desk is by lighting a citrus candle, or something citrusy on your desk. Also, when they get on your desk, immediately carry them off your desk, and if it continues, than just spray them with a water bottle. But mainly just keep moving them from desk, to floor, constantly and as soon as they get on the desk if possible.

Edit: Cats hate citrus, that's why I recommend it.

Citrus helps. Maybe use some extract around the desk or a strong cented cleaner.

To keep my cat off the counters, at least when we're home, we used a few coins in an aluminum can, and would shake it when they jumped up. It was recommended to us because they don't associate the sound directly with you as they might if you yell at them. 

Also, maybe try putting something more attractive to them in the room with your desk. Maybe a cat tower with catnip spread on it. 

An update that I should have posted a month ago... the spray worked! The automated spritz instantly deterred my cats, and so I left it on whenever I was not at my desk. It is a bit oversensitive to movement, which I suppose is better than the alternative. I haven't actually turned it on in weeks now, because the mere sight of it on my desk has been enough. Not a single cat hair found on my desk since I set it up!