Abex49

New PC, or Upgrade Old PC

Question

Sometime within the next year or two im planning on upgrading my whole setup, and i dont know if i should just sell my old PC as it is not a bad PC, to pay for the parts for my new PC, or if i should try to just upgrade what i have.  Honestly i want a whole new setup as the case i bought awhile back just doesn't match my preferences anymore and all of my hardware is a bit dated.

8 answers to this question

Depends on your MOBO. If your MOBO supports the new vid card / PCU / etc I would say just upgrade. If your motherboard can't handle the modern technology you might as well build a new one. At least that's my opinion.

I think it could but i also do not really like the MOBO aesthetically anymore, all of my peripherals are blue back lit, but my MOBO is red LED so i was thinking of getting either an RGB version of whatever i buy or one without LEDS

If you are looking to keep the blue theme, I got the midsized Tessaract case and I LOVE it. The only odd thing is the hard drives and SSDs go in sideways? Otherwise it is gorgeous and easy to organize wires in my opinion. This is my first PC build however so I'm not sure how much my opinion matters 😂

Also I agree with wanting to get a new more capable MOBO, especially with the new gen of AMD processors. FYI if you get a Ryzen or a Threadripper make sure the heatsink actually fits the MOBO. My Ryzen 5 was compatible but the heat sink it came with was not??? An annoying thing to discover mid-assembly...

Edited by Kitty Stark

Awards

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking of sticking with like an i7 7700k or if I really feel like going hardcore just fronting the bill on an i9, I am also possibly be doing 3d modeling for industrial/ for my own uses and I'm not sure on how AMD processors would handle that unless I am just uninformed and they would do better for my purposes 

AMD is generally cheaper both for processor and motherboard. And the features available for the motherboard are more on par with Intel offerings. Generally speaking you will pay about $50 - $80 less for an AMD than an Intel system. Unfortunately DDR4 is still priced high, as well as graphics cards. 

Awards

i could probably use the DDR4 ram i have in my current computer i have 4 4gb sticks of DDR4 that could get me by, plus prices are bound to drop in the next 2-3 years right? lol