Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Support Welfare

I Built an Arcade

I have been working little by little over the last couple months on a project to build a home made arcade cabinet for my living room.  I have had the idea in the back of my mind for a few years now but finally got the push I needed to start the project.  I did a ton of research online on what materials to use, how to put it together, how big I wanted it, what I'd need to do to make it sturdy enough.  Eventually I took the plunge and started getting the materials together.  It was a much bigger undertaking than I thought it was.  One thing I realized pretty fast though is that there really isn't a "wrong" way to go about putting it together.  I kept track of my build progress at the request of my Mom as she is in a different state and can't keep tabs on me.  I figure I'd throw some of the photos up on here for the fun of it as I feel pretty proud of how it turned out.  By no means is it pretty or eloquent but it was fun as hell to build and I learned a lot about what to do and not do if I build another one.  I have had a few people at work already ask if I'd be willing to sell it or build them a smaller one.

Here is the controller pad and the guts for it.

5bb4a50cd8619_Arcadepad-wiring.thumb.jpg.9637d3efe8eb3f81c175cda91edde0bd.jpg

5bb4a5147d091_Arcadepad4-Lights.thumb.jpg.396a459a26eedcdd82d720d6b73349d5.jpg

The framework

5bb4a55c8f937_ArcadeFramework.thumb.jpg.d8a68a0a8c2f418c552eb68469d12df1.jpg

5bb4a51b75801_ArcadeFramework2.thumb.jpg.9d9ec681e688a3b1d8861847d7b0d9da.jpg

5bb4a5226a046_ArcadeFrameUpright.thumb.jpg.a4322ce7717b705fa199aa88be529caf.jpg

and it fully assembled and in my living room.

5bb4a5509f105_ArcadePlayable3.thumb.jpg.b555abce96b0c1ade9320bea5ef172c2.jpg

I still have a few things to do to it like make a graphic for the name plate and back light it as well as put a shelf in the bottom but for now its sitting in my living room and I have already put a few hours into it.

Awards

As far as graphics go I was thinking of a mix of all sorts of old games together for the sides of the cabinet.  For the name plate I'm not sure at all really.

2 hours ago, MadCast: Kitty Stark said:

Wow you got this done faster than I expected. *golf claps*

Meanie!  =P  lol

Awards

Bro, you are literally doing what I  have been trying to do for years but my wife won't let me.  I ended up having to put a raspberry pi in a prebuilt arcade stick box and just hook it up to the tv with nothing better than N64 and older arcades on it.  You are a lucky lucky man, and if you can figure out a way to convince my wife to let me do that, then I'll join you and be nagging you for advice building mine :)

Awards

lol.  well start off by trying to convince her to let you just build the control pad for it and then you can build the arcade around it when you whittle her down.  >.<
I used a raspberry pi 3+ in my build and retro pie game distro for the emulators.  Even got support for steam controller for it so i can use wireless controllers for up to 4 people.  This thing is massive as hell with a 32" screen.  stands about 80" tall and 34" wide.  Obviously I didnt need it to be that big but hey go big or go back to your toy box!  If you do ever manage to convince your other half to let you build one I'd be happy to help.  There are some things I'd have loved to do with this one but just couldn't make them work due to cost, time or tools.  Regardless this thing was SOOOOO much fun to build.

Awards