Raeden

Linux Experiment

Let's start off with getting this out right away.. I hate Windows (and even more so Mac), but pretty much every game I play is only available on Windows so I've been stuck with the ecosystem for a long while.

Enter the experiment: Run every Windows game stably on a Linux VM, then switch my main OS to Linux.
My Knowledge: I manage/create linux servers at work and can get around the OS fairly easily.

The components:
  Solus - Operating System
  Wine - For playing Windows games
  Lotus - For doing all the heavy lifting on installation and configuration

The games:
  League of Legends - Installed, trying to patch
  Warframe - Downloading, will install soon

Anyone else have any experimentation with Linux?

In terms of gaming I don't have much experience with Linux. I know Steam has made a push for some cross-OS compatability, and maybe that'll help with Warframe. Much like yourself my Linux experience comes primarily from work but our machines are setup as a Linux (CentOS or RHEL) as the base OS with a Windows VM for those that need to use Windows for whatever reason.

Yeah, steam has a compatibility iron to play some windows games on Linux. It's a very small list of supported games but warframe isn't on it. It does have an experimental option to try any windows game, but it didn't work for warframe. Are you running rhel for your desktops? If so, I'm super jealous.

It comes down to if that group has the funding to pay for the licenses. For most it has been reserved for running on their servers primarily, I find CentOS to be the most similar to red hat though, so it kinda works in the end.

Well, CentOS is just a fork of RHEL so.. yeah :) We tried experimenting with running Fedora on all desktops, but a lot of people HAD to have their MS Office >.< 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:32 AM, Raeden said:

I hate Windows (and even more so Mac)

What draws you to Linux, more specifically Solus? What are some of your main issues with windows?

The Mac hate is understandable since its not the best for the majority of gaming. 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:39 PM, Raeden said:

Well, CentOS is just a fork of RHEL so.. yeah :) We tried experimenting with running Fedora on all desktops, but a lot of people HAD to have their MS Office >.< 

Why can't you use LibreOffice? It's open source and is made to be very similar to MS Office.