Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Shattered

Atlas so far

Atlas has been, without a doubt the worst launch experience I've personally ever had and I'm sure more than just me feel this way. The server crashes, crazy high amounts of lag, resource respond, being run off of island that are all already taken by massive clans or Chinese groups.

That being said, the dust has seem to settle to where I felt it should have been on launch. With how things are now. The game has some serious potential. Its like a rougher version of ark with more options such as ship building. 

As the game sits in its current state, for the 25$ it cost on launch, it is only worth it if you're a fan of games like ARK, conan, ect. If those kind of games are not your thing I'd advise to save your money. However the leaps and bounds forward this game has made in the few days its been playable, I have high hopes for the future to see more of what was shown to us in the trailers. The development team has stated that the game will remain at 30$ or less until launch which will be 18-24 months which would be a steal as long as they keep going in the right direction.

If its not your thing, keep an eye on it.

I was pretty suspicious about the 45,000 online at once claim and also weary of games where you lose your valuables if someone else kills you but I was keeping an eye on it through videos and streamers and a few things stuck out:

1- 45,000 population servers =  A streamer did the math and it was like a couple thousand max? The servers were super unstable like most games are on launch , however, it would still not be even close to that claim if they were. (Hint: I don't like companies that make false claims)

2- Zerg mentality = Seems like the only people having success right now are joining mega guilds and just zerging anyone that moves, making starting areas a nightmare and even progressing almost impossible.

3- Resources = Some individuals are getting spawned on islands that lack the resources to progress.

4- The UI / interaction boxes are pretty awkward. Flags with information on top of structures that hold the flags that have their own information make it a jumbled mess at times.

5- Creature / ship interactions = This one is pretty hilarious. Bulls bouncing all over the place, snakes flying , ships crashing because they're violently shaking across your screen and randomly hitting land.

6- Visuals = The in game content is nowhere even close to the advertised videos. It's literally night and day. Awkwardly out of proportion physiques and disappointing graphics are a letdown.

7- Islands = Turns out the islands are all basically the same shape or variation of a small group of shapes / designs. Kind of a buzzkill on the exploration side of it.

On a side note, people found a hidden menu by connecting a controller into the main menu screen and scrolling down. It's a "ARK: Survival" menu and has lead many to believe that this game was intended as an ARK expansion rather than a standalone title.

I'm always intrigued by the next "big thing" but this game is probably something I'll never get into. If they make some major strides I may come back around and give it a tryout.

Awards

10 hours ago, MadCast: Usefully Useless said:

If they make some major strides I may come back around and give it a tryout.

Just look at No Man's Sky. They made major strides ... what ... a year after launch? Even with a full game half off it still died. You don't get a second chance at a first impression. 

Count me out cause this ain't it coach.

For those who enjoy the game keep rocking it, I really hope they update it all, and soon for you.

Awards

Im still not convinced on buying it in its current state. I love ark have almost 5k hours in it but Im not willing to pay almost 50$ Aus for a game full of bugs. The idea of the game is nice, in the future if its on sale I may spend the money on it but not at the moment.