MadCast: Qrow

Who here are musicians?

I've been playing music for 13 years and percussion for 10. I'm the drumline captain at my college and in various other ensembles. Who else plays music for fun or in ensembles? 

21 minutes ago, MadCast: majorhoward said:

I do some playing for fun, I play the trumpet, Bagpipes, and I'm learning the Carnyx.

Major! How've you been? what is the Carnyx? 

I haven't played in a few years but I was a percussionist  for 8 years, I was first base on my drumline in high school my jr and sr year and cymbals my freshman and sophomore year. I definitely miss the family atmosphere of drumline. I can play pretty much anything without strings, except piano I can play piano lol. I never have time to ply anymore between work school and moming but music still plays a huge part in my life. 

Awards

Yeah man, that's cool. Drumline is totally a close family. I'm sad I've got one semester left with them. Also piano is technically percussion! 

I've got a pretty long relationship with music which unfortunately did not end on the best terms because high schoolers are full of drama. Started flute when I was 10, added clarinet at 14, piccolo and tenor sax at 15, and bassoon at 17 for a musical. I dabbled in a ton of other ones and I still have a keyboard at home, but I probably can only play my flute/piccolo and tenor sax any more from memory because I spent the most time on them. I always wanted to learn violin because my mom played it in her school orchestra but unfortunately my school did not have a budget or teacher for any kind of stringed instruments, and I don't have the money or time to learn it on my own now.

Marching band was definitely a second home for me for many years and I wish I could just look back fondly, but I do remember watching professional drum cores perform and it still is one of the most amazing feats of human coordination I've ever seen.

Played guitar for about 3 years when a friend of mine introduced me to the glory that is a bass. Picked that up and have been playing both for another 10 years or so. Have sang for most of my life, from choir up through a few bands and now I satisfy the performing itch by cleaning up at the occasional karaoke night at my local watering holes.

Edited by MadCast: Baal

11 hours ago, MadCast: Baal said:

Played guitar for about 3 years when a friend of mine introduced me to the glory that is a bass. Picked that up and have been playing both for another 10 years or so. Have sang for most of my life, from choir up through a few bands and now I satisfy the performing itch by cleaning up at the occasional karaoke night at my local watering holes.

I'd love to hear a little more about your transition to bass and how it varied from your previous guitar experience. got 7 years experience on my guitar but it would be a lie to say I haven't been drooling over the G&L L-2500 that's taken up residency at my local music shop.

Awards

@MadCast: narucabra

We were down at his family's beach house just jamming a bit, using the main riff from Cashmere as our home base and he noticed that I played it with a different pattern than he did. I stretched from the 5th fret to the 12th for the last bit instead of moving up a string to play on the 7th and he said I had "mutant hands" and should try bass, and handed me his.

Learning the strumming/picking patterns was probably the trickiest part, but I have always preferred fingerstyle so I just practiced some simple pentatonic blues runs until I got more used to the stretch and spread.

Slap is just fun. basically play it like you hate your instrument and just want to beat the hell out of it lol.

I'm in my final semester of a Bachelors in Music Ed. I'm primarily a violist but I can play any of the classical 4-stringed instruments. I also do some orchestral percussion gigs, mainly auxiliary, and I perform in my college's West African Drum and Dance Ensemble.

I want to pick up electric bass and the viola de gamba one of these days but that'll be when I'm no longer an "indentured servant"... I mean a student teacher.