Sign in to follow this  
MadCast Maday

Comp upgrade trigger finally pulled

Question

Current rig:

CPU:  AMD Athlon FX 8350 Black Edition

Motherboard:  ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

RAM:  G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-1600 - 32gb (4x8gb)

GRAPHICS:  EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 TI icx

CASE:  NZXT Phantom ATX Full Tower - Red

DATA DRIVES: 

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb - SSD
Samsung 840 250gb - SSD
Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm - 500gb HDD
Western Digital Green - 1 TB HDD
Seagate Baracuda - 4TB HDD

SOUND:  Sound BlasterX Pro-Gaming AE-5
Headset:  Sennheiser GSP600

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgraded rig:

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 2600  *(to be upgraded to Ryzen 5 3600X when released)*
Combo Deal link -  $357.98
MOTHERBOARD:  ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM:  Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 3000 32gb (2x16) - $169.59

CPU COOLER:  Corsair Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum - $149.99 -$10 MIR

CASE:  Phanteks Entho Pro TG PH-ES614PTG-BK - $109.99

GRAPHICS:  EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 TI icx

DATA DRIVES:

Samsung 970 EVO+ 500gb V-NAND M.2 2280 NVMe - $109.99 - SSD
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 1TB Sata 3 M.2 2280 - $119.99 - SSD
Inland Professional 1TB 3D NAND Sata 3 - 2.5" - $89.99 - SSD

POWER SUPPLY:  Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold - $94.99 -$25 MIR

SOUND:  Sound BlasterX Pro-Gaming AE-5
Headset:  Sennheiser GSP600

11 answers to this question

How old was that VelociRaptor drive? Hah, I had one many years ago, I can't imagine it's recent.  M.2 is a nice upgrade, as is the RAM. Same gfx card, but that can easily be upgraded in the future. No NAS in RAID somewhere? :wavey:

Awards

The ol' raptor drive may be old, but she's still kickin without issue :)

When the 1080 TI becomes an irrelevant bottleneck, I'll look into upgrading it if it's still alive when that time comes.

I actually have the same RAM in my PC, except that it's only one 8GB... I really want to get another one just in case Google Chrome chokes this one out. I also really wish there had been a deal like that last year when I built my PC, around April/May. I really wanted the 2600 but had to settle for the 1600x because of budget, but with that pretty MB I would have been willing to spend an extra $50.

6 hours ago, MadCast: Sotarkadin said:

MY current specs are:

Intel i7-6700K 4GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10060 6GB

ASUS ATX DDR4 Motherboard

CORSAIR VEngeance 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4

Any point updating anything at this point?  OR should I Be good for another year or so?

Whether you're good with that system depends entirely what you want it to play and what monitor and resolutions you play at.

11 hours ago, MadCast: Scooba said:

I'm not building until the Ryzen 3 series is released.  What's the purpose of buying the second gen if you know you're upgrading in a couple months?

Cuz the deals going around for the current available Ryzen chips are pretty good and cheap, relatively speaking.  Plus, some of my current games my old CPU is tripping over itself trying to feed frame data. 

Plus, I certainly am not going to mind having a backup CPU on the off chance there's some issue with the first batch of 3000 series chips.  At the ultimate end simply it's AMD and their pricing for the current Zen chips as to why I can justify picking up a nice Zen chip until 3000 comes out.  I picked the mobo specifically based upon knowing I'm gonna have a current chip for a short time and having the ability to easily drop in a 3000 series in a couple months.

2 minutes ago, MadCast: Sotarkadin said:

Right now I am playing random steam games, and the newer releases.  Anthem, Division 2.  I currently play with 3 27" monitors, one is 144Hz the other two are 60Hz

Then yes I'd say you are at the end of your line at a 1080p resolution with that rig.  Moving into 2K or 4K will likely require a GPU and CPU upgrade in your rig, but with that obviously comes a need for a new mobo. 

You might be able to stretch the machine out, but you're gonna have to drop lots of graphics settings.  So I guess it'll depend on how low of settings you are gonna be happy looking at.

That's one of my other goals is to get me a somewhat decent 27" 1440p 144 hz as my main monitor.  Prices are coming down for them, so soon I hope :)

15 hours ago, MadCast: Kitty Stark said:

I actually have the same RAM in my PC, except that it's only one 8GB... I really want to get another one just in case Google Chrome chokes this one out. I also really wish there had been a deal like that last year when I built my PC, around April/May. I really wanted the 2600 but had to settle for the 1600x because of budget, but with that pretty MB I would have been willing to spend an extra $50.

Ram prices are supposed to continue to drop into nearly 3rd quarter this year.  So keep your eyes on the Ram deals and sales.  I'd highly recommend a 2nd 8gb chip so you can get that dual channel goodness rockin.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, MadCast Maday said:

Ram prices are supposed to continue to drop into nearly 3rd quarter this year.  So keep your eyes on the Ram deals and sales.  I'd highly recommend a 2nd 8gb chip so you can get that dual channel goodness rockin.

I need Large M.2 prices to drop soon. I only have 740gb total between my 500 gb m2. and my crappy ssd. Would like atleast a 1 TB m.2, just don't wanna pay what they are asking right now.