Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Dez

Idea: Rotating Featured Game

I really like the permanent featured games MadCast has. It's awesome knowing I can pick up one of those games and there is a community already there and ready to play. That said, there are a lot of games out there. Obviously, when a game comes out, some of us pick it up and play and have a blast, but I'm wondering if we could consider maybe having our permanent featured games and then a "Game of the Month" that has the same status as featured with top level Discord space that month (along with Forum space.)

Preferably something with low to no cost of entry. I think it would be cool and could help lead to more recruitment from people that play the game and may want to check out other things MadCast does.

Anyway, just a thought. I was mulling around because now that CS:GO is free to play, I thought it could be a good trial one.

Thoughts?

I've been of this mindset as well simply cuz I bounce around a lot when I don't wanna play League or Path of Exile's new expansion isn't out yet.  That's why I, and plenty of others, are posting stuff in the other games chat for people to check out.  However, that doesn't mean this is a bad idea either.  Especially if we find something free or super low cost and officially back it and say "Hey guys/gals, this our featured game of the month" and put an option on everyone either trying that game out, or leading another community event instead to get people involved.

Edited by MadCast: Craiden

Agreed. I mean, we definitely have Other Games stuff and it's nice, just wondering if having an Official MadCast Featured Game of the Month would be a tool to have some fun and reach out to people that don't know about our awesome community.

In a large way, this is kind of how the "other games" area works. there is a new flavor every month where everyone tries to convince eachother to play a certain game over another. The past few weeks has been Tropico 6 and maybe a little Escape from Tarkov.

I think it'd be good to have a dedicated FotM game though because not everyone comes to the 'Other Games' chat to know what game is the FotM.

For instance if we had official in-house backing on Tropico 6 and have it be the designated game of the month perhaps more people will be interested in joining.

(Probably not because that's a game for rich people)

Haha, no it's just that if we had some official posts and such about it, it might actually bring more people to the game and our discord, even from outside the community.  Kind of how I'm looking at the next Path of Exile release in June.

This is something I'm certainly interested in. I think that for most people a lot of games we play don't have extended staying power like League of Legends.

Thinking from an admin perspective I'm wondering about;

• How do we pick our "featured" game?
  • How many people plan to play?
  • What is driving current interest (F2P, content update, new game, etc.)?
  • Will this game have extended staying power beyond our FotM?
  • How do we transition to our next featured game without alienating the people still playing the last FotM? 

I'll think up some answers to these myself, but I'm interested in y'alls feedback.

1 hour ago, MadCast: The Prince said:

This is something I'm certainly interested in. I think that for most people a lot of games we play don't have extended staying power like League of Legends.

Thinking from an admin perspective I'm wondering about;

• How do we pick our "featured" game?
  • How many people plan to play?
  • What is driving current interest (F2P, content update, new game, etc.)?
  • Will this game have extended staying power beyond our FotM?
  • How do we transition to our next featured game without alienating the people still playing the last FotM? 

I'll think up some answers to these myself, but I'm interested in y'alls feedback.

I am usually more willing to try new games that are F2P as I am somewhat frugal and enjoy a good return on investment when I decide to buy / support a F2P model.

As to how to pick - that's the tough one. Maybe a monthly poll on a genre (RPG , FPS , etc)? Possibly a secondary poll after that to gauge interest to see if it's worth committing a month's time supporting said game?

Awards

On 4/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, MadCast: Usefully Useless said:

I am usually more willing to try new games that are F2P as I am somewhat frugal and enjoy a good return on investment when I decide to buy / support a F2P model.

As to how to pick - that's the tough one. Maybe a monthly poll on a genre (RPG , FPS , etc)? Possibly a secondary poll after that to gauge interest to see if it's worth committing a month's time supporting said game?

I think a poll is a great idea to choose the game.

We could bring it up on the last Town Hall meeting every month and open the floor up for people to suggest games.

Have two polls for F2P games and P2P games, and at the end of the week we could vote between the two winners. (Hopefully a fairly affordable price if P2P is voted for.)

Some of the games could be a one time FotM thing but my hope is that few small but active communities within Madcast playing certain games will grow as a result of this.

For instance every three months, myself and a few others will suggest Path of Exile as a new league for PoE starts every 3 months or so. 

This previous league start we had an extremely active albeit small community. 

With the guidance of some of the PoE veterans perhaps we can get a few more each league to stick around after the Featured Game Rotation.

In regards to the concern of alienating members who decide to stay on the previous FotM game, it could always be voted up again in the future.

Perhaps those members could stay on the game and be a veteran capable of guiding new players if it gets voted up again.

Not every game played by every members have Madcast backing so I don't think it'll be too big of an issue, as I'm sure most people are used to playing a few games by themselves. 

I really like A1C's idea of a F2P and a P2P game of the month.

Throw it up in polls after getting nominations in the Town Hall?

39 minutes ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

This holds my interest.

What do you think about game of the cycle as opposed to the month?

I would think a monthly poll would fit best. In a situation where people really like a game that has won a poll - perhaps continue the won game in the next month's polls and look at a longer-term solution should it win multiple months in a row?

Awards

I think that a month is a good period of time, at least for the games that I think would best fit the rotating game mode. My guess would be that most of the games are fun coop or multiplayer games that are fairly cheap, often go on sale, or many people likely already own. As an example, I would guess that Don't Starve Together is a good example of a monthly game, I suspect that you can get a good feel for the gameplay in the first ~10 hours. Other options for games might be something like L4D2, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Helldivers, Risk of Rain 2, Terraria, Minecraft, or Factorio to name a few.

I think it would make sense to allow a game to win multiple months in a row. If it's popular enough for a long enough period of time, potentially some of these monthly games could even become an official game if there is enough buy-in and prolonged interest from the community.

Awards

A month doesn't seem long enough to me. A lot of us don't have the time in just one month to devote to a game in order to truly understand its mechanics or get to enjoy a lot of the the content. A longer time period would allow for more members to explore a game.

1 hour ago, MadCast: Caster said:

A month doesn't seem long enough to me. A lot of us don't have the time in just one month to devote to a game in order to truly understand its mechanics or get to enjoy a lot of the the content. A longer time period would allow for more members to explore a game.

We then run into problems with being stuck on a game for longer than a month if it's not something most people enjoy. 

If we make an exception for some games to be voted out early and some games to stay longer, it becomes too unstructured and the system won't really be a rotating featured game -- it'll be more like a random game in "other games" section where few games come and go.

I think one month is more than enough to grasp the feeling of the game and have an idea if you will enjoy it long term. 

Having two games shoudn't be an issue either, one of the games will end up attracting the most people regardless of time.

Awards

I think one month is enough, especially since it's very likely some people will want to keep playing the games even after that month. If you didn't have enough time that specific month I'm sure there will be some of us that can play with you afterwards anyways. I'm sure this will happen, but we can always get each other to go back to some of the older featured games if someone's looking to play it, I don't think that will be a big problem.

Like A1C said, if it goes on for longer than a month we risk being trapped in a longer period where not a lot of people like the game. 

On 4/23/2019 at 11:11 PM, A1C_Ju said:

We could bring it up on the last Town Hall meeting every month and open the floor up for people to suggest games.

Have two polls for F2P games and P2P games, and at the end of the week we could vote between the two winners. (Hopefully a fairly affordable price if P2P is voted for.)

On 4/23/2019 at 11:11 PM, A1C_Ju said:

Perhaps those members could stay on the game and be a veteran capable of guiding new players if it gets voted up again.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:38 PM, MadCast: Caster said:

A lot of us don't have the time in just one month to devote to a game in order to truly understand its mechanics or get to enjoy a lot of the the content. A longer time period would allow for more members to explore a game.

So here are the biggest problems I see with what has been proposed so far:

Let's say 6 or 7 people suggest different games, and half of them are older games that already had a popular phase before fading out over time (Stardew Valley, CS:GO, Civilization 5). If lesser-known games are suggested that most don't know about, they are going to pick a more common title such as Left 4 Dead or Borderlands simply because the name is familiar. For those who don't already own a pay-to-play game, most won't want to make that investment in a game they know nothing about even if it's only $5-10.

Do you think that anyone who suggests a game should be responsible for describing the game to others at Town Hall? Should there be at least one or two people that are veterans to the game who have the time and ability to help crash-course any new players flooding in? How will you handle outside players being recruited into an environment where the majority of players already here don't have as much in-game knowledge? Should there be basic accessibility requirements for the suggested games, such as an option for lower-end graphics, or a price cap on pay-to-play? How will you be able to organize events ahead of time if you don't already know what game will win the poll? Should there be an official person in charge of the overall program that tracks the polls, makes Discord channels, and takes the lead on recruitment efforts abroad? If yes, then who, and why? If no, then who do you expect to fulfill those roles?

I know that's a lot of questions to digest and think through, but I just want to put into perspective the amount of consistent commitment it will take to make something like this work. A rotating official game that can appeal to the masses sounds like a great idea, but whoever wants it to succeed needs to define the kind of structure they plan to use to make it a success. Someone has to be in charge and make the final decisions before we can test-run this idea at Town Hall.

9 hours ago, MadCast: Kitty Stark said:

So here are the biggest problems I see with what has been proposed so far:

Let's say 6 or 7 people suggest different games, and half of them are older games that already had a popular phase before fading out over time (Stardew Valley, CS:GO, Civilization 5). If lesser-known games are suggested that most don't know about, they are going to pick a more common title such as Left 4 Dead or Borderlands simply because the name is familiar. For those who don't already own a pay-to-play game, most won't want to make that investment in a game they know nothing about even if it's only $5-10.

Do you think that anyone who suggests a game should be responsible for describing the game to others at Town Hall? Should there be at least one or two people that are veterans to the game who have the time and ability to help crash-course any new players flooding in? How will you handle outside players being recruited into an environment where the majority of players already here don't have as much in-game knowledge? Should there be basic accessibility requirements for the suggested games, such as an option for lower-end graphics, or a price cap on pay-to-play? How will you be able to organize events ahead of time if you don't already know what game will win the poll? Should there be an official person in charge of the overall program that tracks the polls, makes Discord channels, and takes the lead on recruitment efforts abroad? If yes, then who, and why? If no, then who do you expect to fulfill those roles?

I know that's a lot of questions to digest and think through, but I just want to put into perspective the amount of consistent commitment it will take to make something like this work. A rotating official game that can appeal to the masses sounds like a great idea, but whoever wants it to succeed needs to define the kind of structure they plan to use to make it a success. Someone has to be in charge and make the final decisions before we can test-run this idea at Town Hall.

1. The Rotating Featured Game doesn't have to be and shouldn't expected to be participated by everyone. Even if older and well known games are picked, I for one (and probably others as well) would be more willing to try out a game that I've been wanting to for years if it had Madcast backing. I've never played Borderlands and always wanted to but never enough to buy the game. If I knew I would have my friends to play with as well, I would definitely pick it up.

2. I feel that the game suggested should probably have a brief description. For instance if we had suggested Apex Legends before it came out, whoever suggested it should inform the others what kind of a game it is to make sure people make (partially) informed decision when they're voting on games.

3. There doesn't necessarily have to be a veteran for the game -- brand new games (such as Apex) wouldn't have any veterans before the game is released.

4. In terms of basic accessibility requirements, I feel like voting itself would take care of that issue. If people weren't willing to spend $60 on a game, it probably wouldn't be voted up.

5. The polls should only run for a week, maybe even 5 days (from Monday to Friday) to allow for (whoever's in charge of this) to tally up the total on Saturday and Sunday and create a learning event for perhaps the following week. This should allow for people to have a week of notice in advance and for some to get a basic grasp of the game to help out people during that event.

6. There probably should be someone in charge of the overall program so that it runs smoothly. I'm sure we'll figure it out.

These are just my thoughts on the spot.

I'm sure there are ways to improve the ideas -- I just wanted to throw some ideas out there to help whoever ends up in charge of this.

16 hours ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

How long would you keep the poll open each month to get a consensus?

In regards to this, we could start the poll on the 3rd or the 4th week, depending on how long it takes for members to get around to it.

Voting on the last week of the month would be preferable* but I understand not everyone would be able to get on at some point in that week.

*So that the current rotating featured game had enough time to be experienced by everyone who wished to.

I think this is something that needs to be discussed heavily at the next townhall for sure, because I feel like this can really help us expand MadCast as a whole.
Also, I would be willing to help whoever does end up running this, because as A1C said, I think this is something that needs structure but it's a decent sized project for one person and I think there should be at least 3 people on it to help keep it fair and unbias, as well as being able to explore multiple avenues and options.

Fully agree @MadCast: Craiden

That was my initial thought behind the idea. I mean, I came to MadCast through League and because of Epic, but there may be people that would love our community in other games and if we have a few more people tagged up and playing Apex or something, you might find someone that ends up enjoying the community and people that would have never found us otherwise.

@MadCast: Munsa I still like the idea of a monthly poll, with the option in the following month of the same game. If a game is picked for 3+ months in a row, maybe we move it to either Permanent or a Semi-Permanent status and then it's taken off the Monthly rotation in favour of other options.

I mean, if a game is picked 3+ months in a row, it's either really good or holds major interest in this community, right?

Worth a though.