Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Caster

Writing Fan Ficiton

I used to be part of a Star Wars forum based story community in high school. It kinda died out but I always  wondered if anyone else ever did anything like that or wrote fanfiction in their personal time. Any takers?

I used to write Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfic when I was younger, before Korra came out, and was just all about the wacky shit you could do with the elements. (e.g. creating a vacuum in someone's lungs, and just killing them instantly, blood boiling in the brain.) I wanted a darker, grungier version as a kid. It's no wonder I had the long bowl cut with bangs to cover my shame a la "Fat Fall Out Boy" in middle school. 

EDIT: write not right* (don't post on little sleep)

Edited by MadCast: doublestufforeo

8 hours ago, MadCast: Caster said:

I used to be part of a Star Wars forum based story community in high school. It kinda died out but I always  wondered if anyone else ever did anything like that or wrote fanfiction in their personal time. Any takers?

Just about two decades ago because god am I old now, I was part of a Microsoft Zone Star Wars Clan and we had a forum section where we took turns writing scenes for an episodic fan fiction. Eventually, the core-writers got together and wrote most of an actual novel based on the characters we had created. It was pretty fun while it lasted though.

I used to be part of a lot of different forum-based roleplay communities. When I was 13 and got my first laptop, I trickled through a few RP groups on Facebook and built a close-knit group with 6 other friends. We had this long-running story arc where all of our characters has overlapping stories and it was pretty incredible how it kept evolving and growing over the course of 3 years, especially because there wasn't any set DM and we didn't do any rolling or stat-checks. Basically we took turns writing blurbs from our characters as if it was an ongoing book. It began with two of them starting an RP with their original characters set in the Bleach universe, but I had no knowledge of anime at all when I joined, which is pretty amusing in hindsight. I started documenting our adventures in a sort of chapter format and put them on FanFic.net because I was an idiot who didn't know how to tag or post things with Out-Of-Character as a warning. A few people read it and gave me hell for not properly labeling my story and that was the end of my fan fiction career.

I'm actually still friends with a couple of them and we check in from time to time, and it's pretty crazy to see how much we all grew. I even had a long-distance relationship with one of them for about a year, and he's still one of my best friends.

I don't do proper fanfictions, but have always been involved in one roleplaying forum or another. A couple of them have been based on animes, like Black Bullet (That was a very fun one), or Soul Eater, but they worked like any other roleplaying forum, which is, you make your own character and play him or her. 

It's a fun way to keep myself writing even if I don't have the time or the brain to write good short stories at that particular moment in time for whatever reason, and I actually really, really enjoy the aspect of interacting with other writers that can surprise you.