Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: Sotarkadin

Cookeware recommendations?

I know we have a few people around here who are chefs and/or work in food industry, so I am looking for some advice.  I recently was hospitalized and had to have my gall bladder removed as it was ready to burst.  While doing that they checked my liver and saw that it was also not well(but can be corrected, with new eating habits).  With this new "lifestyle" I will be eating better and cooking a lot more than I do already.  

With that said I am looking for some advice on new cookware.  I would prefer none of the tephlon coated, non-stick stuff.  My grandma was a set from a brand called Calphalon which are made with alulminum I think. I just know she has had them for like 20 years and they still look brand new.  From my research it appears they aren't the same now as they changed the way they are made, but I would love to have some like that.  Just looking for some that will last a while.  Currently what I own is the box sets type you buy with a few different sizes, but they scratch or the coating peels off.  I know some decent equipment might cost me $100-200 a pan/pot, which I am ok with if it will last a few years and is worth it.   

If anybody has any suggestions I would love to hear them and possibly links to the brand/pieces on amazon so I Can do a little research.

My cabinet is a mix between Pampered Chef and All Clad as far as brands. most of it I've had almost 15 years at this point the papered chef stuff is holding up but starting to show some wear the all clad is still going strong despite some of the stupid "could have burned my house down" stuff  I've done with them. They weren't cheap and while I wouldn't recommend repeating the stress tests I've accidentally put mine through I would recommend the pots and pans.

Awards

I swear by stainless steel, it's such a versatile pan that can go from stove top straight into the oven (and the one that I'm linking is oven safe up to 600 degrees.) Right now Williams-Sonoma (as expensive as they are) have a sale going on right now, and they really do offer the best sets around.

I personally prefer this one here. Which you can see in action here.

It comes at a price point of $700 for a set of six pans which comes to a cost of $116 per pan. Which I'd say is a worth it deal to me, especially with what they offer in this set. A lot of sets come with "fluff" pots and not enough pans. This set includes two skillets, two sauce pans (which are nice and deep,) a roasting pan (which I adore because I believe everyone should have a quality roasting pan or dutch oven,) and a 5qt. stockpot for those blustery days that you want to make a lot of soup, chili, or hearty sauce.

I also love that these come deeper than the original set that they made, and have the new lips on the edges for easy "mess free" pouring.

4 hours ago, MadCast: Sotarkadin said:

I know some decent equipment might cost me $100-200 a pan/pot, which I am ok with if it will last a few years and is worth it.   

This should last you more than a few years. Professional kitchens use stainless steel pots and pans for a reason, they're investing in their future by buying (what I believe, and many chefs I know,) to be the best on the market.

If they ever get gross, you can always use an S.O.S. pad on them a few years down the line, and make them sparkle like new. A little elbow grease and it's beautiful again; you can learn how to upkeep and care for the pans here. There's also a "use & care" section on the Williams-Sonoma website.

Bonus points to this set for coming stack-able and for having lids on 4 of the six pans. It's also 18/10 stainless steel which you can read about the differences here. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it's in your budget as well I highly recommend getting a good knife as well, a chef knife can do about anything you need it to and a great knife can last a lifetime as long as you care for it. Which William-Sonoma offers your first knife sharpened free, and after that it's $5.

I recommend staying away from Shun knives if you're not experienced with the flat handle style that the Japanese are known for. I highly recommend something from the Wusthof Ikon Collection or from the Global Sai collection.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to respond to me here, or hit me up on the Discord. I'm around today and love dorking out about this stuff.

Edited by MadCast: doublestufforeo

I know I'm not a professional like DSO, but I love my cast iron pans. I've had them for nearly twenty years, and they almost cook better than when they were new, they'll last you a lifetime if you take care of them, Hell, a mate of mine has a set from his great great great grandmother, and they still work magnificently. 

Edited by MadCast: majorhoward

20 minutes ago, MadCast: majorhoward said:

but I love my cast iron pans.

20 minutes ago, MadCast: majorhoward said:

if you take care of them

Most people don't have the time nowadays unfortunately, but I think one cast iron is important.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/40799/induction-ready-cookware.html?filter=type:fry-pans

These pans are all restaurant ready and for the most part last a very long time in a commercial kitchen (so they'll last forever in your kitchen). You can find whatever you want from non-stick to all clad without chemicals. I've bought some deli containers from them, they deliver fairly quickly. As far as what metal, it's a matter of preference, but I tend to go for the steel pans with aluminum cores. This pan specifically is what I would normally use in a restaurant. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-69210-tribute-10-natural-finish-fry-pan/92269210.html

Awards