7581875800_8f5996b95f_b.jpg

Setting

The Red Dragon Inn has long been considered a neutral ground, where any could meet, talk, and have a meal. Situated at the nexus between three districts and half a kilometer from the waterfront, the ease of access makes it the spot where many Samurai relax between duels, work, and sleep. Moreover, the location is a favorite of the rival clans Hokuten, Nanten, and Touten, where each of the clan leaders have a spot reserved at all times. Fights at the Red Dragon Inn are strongly discouraged, not only by the hidden guns kept by the staff in many nooks and crannies but also by the instant, deathly ire visited on any who force a duel where the clans go to blow off steam.

The lower floor is a rowdy place, where dancing, drinking, and games of chance lend to an atmosphere of raucous carefree merriment. Above, tables, benches, and private rooms allow for more sedate drinking, meals, and meetings to occur morning or night. The Red Dragon Inn never closes, and the place is never empty.

Rules

The Red Dragon Inn is a Roleplay (RP) location, where you can write stories about your samurai by having conversations with other samurai and explore the world in written word. The Red Dragon Inn is not the only thread you can RP in, for you can make a thread titled 'RP:' for roleplaying with anyone or someone in particular. What is special about the Red Dragon Inn is that many separate RPs occur at the same time, and that duel challenges are optional. Duel challenges in other roleplay threads cannot be avoided. 

You may be in multiple roleplays at the same time. When you make a post, quote the person (or persons) you are responding to and roleplay in each separate scene (or the group scene) as you choose to. If you are making a new roleplay post, simply post the post and included (Open) at the bottom to signal that you are looking for someone to roleplay with.

It is strongly encouraged that you read the Lore/History/Flavor section before you roleplay, so as to have the grounding to roleplay confidently.

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

large.jpg

Mitsurugi Takeno is considered by some to be an imposing man despite his rugged appearance, friendly face, and worn clothing. A simple shrine priest to the largest shrine in Echigo District, the humble man still wears the daisho, the ritual pair of blades, to ward against kami, spirits evil or otherwise. When he is not otherwise engaged, Mitsurugi spends his time leisurely sipping tea or taking meals at the Red Dragon Inn. His corner booth on the bottom floor is furthest from the door, in the quietest section of the loud bar room floor. His rough-hewn clothing belies the power and wealth he has managed to achieve in his time on this cursed world, and he never lacks for the finest on offer in the Red Dragon. He happily engages any in conversation who approach him, for he wishes to have the widest perspective of the world around him- all the better to understand and conquer it as the leader of the Hokuten.

(Continually Open RP. To Roleplay with Mitsurugi Takeno, leader of the Hokuten, simply quote this post and reply with your approach to have tea with him.)

The woman entered the Inn quietly and headed straight for the upper floor. She chose a bench with a view of the door, the raucous crowd that mulled about the first floor, and one very specific back corner booth. It had been a long and eventful night; and, for once, she needed a moment to breathe more than she needed to drink and be merry. She took stock of herself and shuddered, both to dislodge the dirt from her person and also to try and shake off the feeling of disappointment that followed her. She would never reach her goal if she continued to lose. Her tattered robes were fairly grimy and muted but there were bright, fresh splotches of blood on them. It was clear to any who approached that she was tired and injured. Soon, she would get up and grab some food and maybe some beer. For now, she would sit here and attempt to regain her composure. 

OPEN

5 minutes ago, MadCast: Vyoletta said:

The woman entered the Inn quietly and headed straight for the upper floor. She chose a bench with a view of the door, the raucous crowd that mulled about the first floor, and one very specific back corner booth. It had been a long and eventful night; and, for once, she needed a moment to breathe more than she needed to drink and be merry. She took stock of herself and shuddered, both to dislodge the dirt from her person and also to try and shake off the feeling of disappointment that followed her. She would never reach her goal if she continued to lose. Her tattered robes were fairly grimy and muted but there were bright, fresh splotches of blood on them. It was clear to any who approached that she was tired and injured. Soon, she would get up and grab some food and maybe some beer. For now, she would sit here and attempt to regain her composure. 

OPEN

Daimyo Batosu sits at his regular table in a space of prominence, minutely yet noticeably taller than those tables reserved for the Hokuten Youkai, Takeno, and the Touten dog Mansuchan. He glares at Takeno while discreetly holding his hand to the fresh bandage affixed to his left side. His coinpurse is noticeably displayed on his right hip, while a new masterwork blade hangs from his left. His focus shifts to the young woman as she enters. He calls to the server and slips a coin into a pocket with a whispered command.

In moments, the server approaches the young woman with a tokkuri of rice wine. She is invited to join the Daimyo's table.

(Continuously Open as well, although this response is directed to Kyoko in particular)

Edited by MadCast: Khaos

She would have ignored the server had they not automatically set the rice wine down at her table. This was definitely unexpected. She looked up with quizzical eyes and listened as the name Daimyo Batosu and invitation were spoken. If her face was pale from blood loss, then it was probably translucent now. This could not possibly be happening. She cursed silently and regretted not going straight home. It wasn't that she was ungrateful or unaware of the honor, but this was not the moment to receive such a gift. 

She gulped down her nerves and thought frantically about what she would say to redeem herself. He certainly had to know of her loss this afternoon... There could be no excuses from her. She was young, but she was strong. She must face the Daimyo with courage and confidence. They were friends... well, friendly, at least. She picked up the tokkuri of rice wine and made her way to his table. 

"Thank you, Batosu-sama." She bowed deeply. "I hope you are doing well this evening." As she sat, she felt hyper-aware of how unkempt she must appear and prayed that the Kami would save face for her. 

Edited by MadCast: Vyoletta

Opening the door to the inn, Kagono did a cursory glance out of habit to be aware of potential threats. Sensing none, he walked up to the main bar to order and pulled out his coin purse, heavy with the fruits of dangerous labors while at sea the past week. Perhaps after a hearty meal, he would pay the dice table a visit and enjoy himself while he recounted his victory that day to his comrades. It was always a pleasure to prove himself better than those who think themselves above the "lower class". He looked down at the dried blood still on his hands and grinned to himself a little madly. To any passersby, his expression resembled the Oni who prowled the darkest nights and haunted many dreams.

While waiting for his meal and tea, he noticed a slim young girl walking towards that bastard Daimyo's table. Tempering his ever-present bloodlust, Kagono wondered what she was even doing among such disreputable company. Her mussed hair and apparent discomfort reminded him of his sister and made him wish she were allied to him instead. Seeing a capable warrior be seduced by that rich filth was a shame, and for once he was not eager to take a life. If only things were that simple...

A pair of bowls filled with hot stew and fresh rice were placed on the bar in front of him. He began eating quietly, thoughts of gambling put aside as he couldn't help watching the girl further. He knew he would show no mercy to anyone who supported the corrupt bureaucracy, but part of him hoped she would cross another's path first and save him the pain. The scars covering his body already attested to a lifetime of suffering, and he had much life yet to live.

[Open]

21 hours ago, MadCast: Vyoletta said:

She would have ignored the server had they not automatically set the rice wine down at her table. This was definitely unexpected. She looked up with quizzical eyes and listened as the name Daimyo Batosu and invitation were spoken. If her face was pale from blood loss, then it was probably translucent now. This could not possibly be happening. She cursed silently and regretted not going straight home. It wasn't that she was ungrateful or unaware of the honor, but this was not the moment to receive such a gift. 

She gulped down her nerves and thought frantically about what she would say to redeem herself. He certainly had to know of her loss this afternoon... There could be no excuses from her. She was young, but she was strong. She must face the Daimyo with courage and confidence. They were friends... well, friendly, at least. She picked up the tokkuri of rice wine and made her way to his table. 

"Thank you, Batosu-sama." She bowed deeply. "I hope you are doing well this evening." As she sat, she felt hyper-aware of how unkempt she must appear and prayed that the Kami would save face for her. 

Batosu nods grimly, and shifts to obscure his own wound. He passes her one of his largest value coins, as is customary among the Nanten when greeting a respected subordinate. “Greetings Kyoko-kun. It is good to see you well. Tell me. What have you learned?”

1 hour ago, MadCast: Khaos said:

Batosu nods grimly, and shifts to obscure his own wound. He passes her one of his largest value coins, as is customary among the Nanten when greeting a respected subordinate. “Greetings Kyoko-kun. It is good to see you well. Tell me. What have you learned?”

Kyoko took a breath before she spoke, and her gaze hovered upon the coin on the table. She was accustomed to accepting them but still felt unworthy of the gift. The clan was filled with many wealthy and influential people, and, as a lowly musician, she constantly felt like an imposter. Even with Batosu-sama's clear acceptance.

She let out the breath she held as she spoke. "You have told me before to use my music as an anchor and hat I should prepare for a fight as I do for the pieces I perform. I have trained for so long, but I have yet to be able to assess my duels as quickly as I assess my music. This most recent performance was decidedly disappointing. I failed to find my rhythm and timed my attack poorly. In the end, he got the better of me." 

The unburdening of these thoughts was both freeing and terrifying. Her demeanor remained calm, but her eyes shimmered briefly. It felt as though she continued to waste the training her mentor had given her. The cup of rice wine that occupied her hands became an adequate distraction from this emotion, and she sipped it quietly.  Occasionally, she wiped the dampness from her eyes. 

After a moment of silence, she spoke again and couldn't help but give him a fierce nod. "I will not lose the next one, sensei."

She picked up the coin from the table and held it in her palm. "Despite my shortcomings, it is delightful to be in your presence. How have your travels been, sensei?" Maybe it was the exhaustion turning to delirium, but she did not notice her own speech becoming informal. 

@MadCast: Vyoletta

“Well. Time has passed without difficulty. It is good to hear that you have learned from your confrontation, and you should know that one of our supporters did avenge your injury. He fell in the deed, but the deed is done. Maruko will not trouble us again.”

He looks back towards Takeno, and grimaces slightly. “Your determination emboldens me. It is time to strike a decisive blow. Go, seek out the fool Negumi Raifu ( @MadCast: rife170). He has risen far enough through the ranks of the Hokuten. End his rise, and bring prosperity to the Nanten.”

Batosu nods a respectful dismissal and returns to his drink.

(Open)

Petals drift on threads
Seasons pass, water and wind
Time waits for no one

Raifu steps over the threshold into the inn, a once familiar place now alien after years on the open water. He relishes the fleeting moment where cool night air at his back meets the inviting warmth of food and flesh before him. 
The clatter of plates and glasses and bottles provides a staccato contrast to the constant stream of chatter between guests. Warriors, priests, con artists, day laborers and all manner of strange and common folk simmer together for tonight, though they may be at odds come the morning. At least for now, it is home.

A twitchy she-warrior throws him a dark glance, Raifu pretends not to notice and makes his way to the table where he's expected.

@MadCast: VoShay
"Mitsurugi-sama, I have returned according to your instruction. This place feels smaller, though you loom larger within since my last visit. The leviathan hunters wish you well, they bade me farewell with a strong wind."

Edited by MadCast: rife170

Petals drift on threads
Seasons pass, water and wind
Time waits for no one

Raifu steps over the threshold into the inn, a once familiar place now alien after years on the open water. He relishes the fleeting moment where cool night air at his back meets the inviting warmth of food and flesh before him. 
The clatter of plates and glasses and bottles provides a staccato contrast to the constant stream of chatter between guests. Warriors, priests, con artists, day laborers and all manner of strange and common folk simmer together for tonight, though they may be at odds come the morning. At least for now, it is home.

A twitchy she-warrior throws him a dark glance, Raifu pretends not to notice and makes his way to the table where he's expected.

@MadCast: VoShay
"Takeno-sama, I have returned according to your instruction. This place feels smaller, though you loom larger within since my last visit. The leviathan hunters wish you well, they bade me farewell with a strong wind."

"Raifu-kun, sooner than expected but later than wished." The middle-aged samurai gave a warm smile as he reached for the teapot and poured a second cup before refilling his. "The Wind blows colder and harder these last few moons. The streets are slick with blood. The Kami are restless." He sighs and stares through a window into the dark, poorly lit street beyond, his sight and consideration stretching even beyond that. A hand snakes up from within his kimono and idly scratches at the perpetual scruff on his jawline. "The ronin seek status, the samurai seek power. It is as it always is, and yet, it is different. More are lain in a shallow grave this last month than ever. The Nanten think they can buy loyalty, and purchase legitimacy- as if such were sold on a street corner like the honor they've never known. The Touten press upon us and the rest of those bordering Kai and Echigo to seek power at the end of a kanabo. They continue to swirl about like locusts on a fallow field, desperate to find sustenance lest they turn on each other in failure." Takeno scratched at his beard again, and then drained his cup. The warmth left his smile and his eyes hardened. "These sellswords cannot best the Hokuten. Not only is such a loss untenable, but they would steer the city to an even worse course- they cannot intercede with the Kami; their weapons would turn back on themselves before the Oni. The Hokuten must remain to guide the path. You must take up your blade in the alleys and dark places once more. We can work some other arrangement out with Toyotomi-dono."

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

Batosu gestures towards the man approaching Takeno. He glances at Kyoko. “Witness the dog beg the master. The Nanten do not grovel for acceptance.” The disgust is palpable. “May your feet find purchase, and the wind press against your foe.”

18 hours ago, MadCast: Khaos said:

Batosu gestures towards the man approaching Takeno. He glances at Kyoko. “Witness the dog beg the master. The Nanten do not grovel for acceptance.” The disgust is palpable. “May your feet find purchase, and the wind press against your foe.”

Kyoko was definitely not expecting to fight again so soon, but she knew the promise of rest was fleeting and weak. There was no point in responding. There was only one answer that hung in the air. One of victory. She pocketed the coin and placed the rice wine upon the table as she stood. She felt dirty and low but she would not let that deter her from the path her master had set. Her gaze rested upon the pair of men, her rivals, and she took a deep breath- steeling herself. She caught the next passing waitress and gave her a message. Now, she must wait. She tidied her clothes, covering her present wound, and went out into the cold night.

@MadCast: rife170

The waitress made her way towards the men of the Hokuten. She waited to catch their eye and then gave them this message: an opponent waited outside for Negumi Raifu. Would he accept the challenge?

Edited by MadCast: Vyoletta

A madman on the fringe of the world claims that life ever changes, and in each generation those most adaptable to change survive to create the next generation.  His words fall on societies too entrenched in survival to take note of it, but every bastion of civilization on the globe provides daily evidence that this unknown scholar was correct.

Consider the glowrats.  Sewers, the intestines of civilization, now run thick with the afterbirth of a devil's exchange: leviathan blood for electricity.  The foul plasma coats tunnels and pipes that common rats traversed, and some did not die instantly.  Those few strong, Proud, VIRTUOUS!!!!! individuals mastered their new environment .  Much as humans now find a basement garden of fungi commonplace, the rats soon found their bile-slicked fur a fertile paradise for a luminescent fungus.  They shine.... Shine.... SHINE....

The man clutched his wrist, the errant hand stabbing at air, furious to commit more madness to parchment.  Once you started to develop the anger the Masters-at-arms quickly saw to it you were put ashore and blackballed.  The city gave you an insulting monthly stipend of rotrice and dried lungfish, and a farcical promise of future dormitories for retired leviathan hunting crews.  Lies and pity.  Mansu needed none.  He closed his shuffle of writings, and made to leave his private quarters.

The anger was useful at times.  It demanded violence, and Mansu was happy to direct it.  Humans who had never sailed the blackest waters would often mistake the anger for bravery, courage, or zeal; those who had hunted the demon whales knew the truth of what they saw.  Currently, the anger and Mansu had a mutual target, the Nanten.  Batosu, though a canny fighter, could not be allowed to sup long on his clan's victories.  

"Out the door, down the stairs, straight to him," Mansu promised the cacophony in his head.  It helped, sometimes, to give the anger a promise.

The common room was less helpful in directing the anger.  Leering eyes, every patron both at their ease and immeasurably tense, and enough cutlery and gunpowder to massacre everyone twice over did nothing to quell fractious thoughts.  The pulse of the place, the flow of information, coin, and promise from person to person was a smith's hammer on the metal of his mind.  He spared a glance to Takeno, giving him the honor of breaking the stare first with a curt half-nod.  The man fought like a tiger, and Mansu did not need his challenge today.

Instead, he roughly and loudly scraped a stool to Batosu's table, seizing the rice wine abandoned by Kyoko and gulping it down with elongated snorts.

"Bought your way into Heaven yet, Batosu?"

22 minutes ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

The common room was less helpful in directing the anger.  Leering eyes, every patron both at their ease and immeasurably tense, and enough cutlery and gunpowder to massacre everyone twice over did nothing to quell fractious thoughts.  The pulse of the place, the flow of information, coin, and promise from person to person was a smith's hammer on the metal of his mind.  He spared a glance to Takeno, giving him the honor of breaking the stare first with a curt half-nod.  The man fought like a tiger, and Mansu did not need his challenge today.

Hearing the bang of a door and a brief but determined stomp of feet echo down the stairs, Kagono was less than surprised to see his senpai lumber directly towards the pig's table. At least the girl with wide eyes and strong limbs had taken her leave a few moments ago. Mansu-sama was not known for bellying mercy or displaying any pretense of remorse, and it was better that the girl, for now, was away from the direct path of his ferocious anger. Kagono quickly finished his meal and let the dishes be taken away, only keeping a cup of tea to nurse as he keeps an observant eye on the situation.

All knew the unspoken oath of the Red Dragon Inn, and to breech that with any actions of violence would be to welcome a painful lynching. Mansu-sama knew this, as did all patrons who were touched by the ronin lifestyle one way or another, but there were times when he did not subscribe to the common sense accepted by most people. Kagono would not hesitate to step to his captain's aid if need be, but unless directly instructed to, he would do nothing more than observe, no matter the burning itch to satisfy his own blood lust alongside a dear and respected comrade.

5 minutes ago, MadCast: Khaos said:

@MadCast: Munsa

“In time, Mansu-chan.” He sits noticeably taller, concealing his wound. He sets a large coin on the table. “I believe they’ve set a table for you in the kitchen.”

His finger remains on the coin.

"If Takeno sat here, that would be pretense for a challenge.  The murmurs say you tasted his steel."

A slasher's smile crossed his lips.

"Your people have been doing good, at the least.  That must be some sort of balm."

16 minutes ago, MadCast: Munsa said:

"If Takeno sat here, that would be pretense for a challenge.  The murmurs say you tasted his steel."

A slasher's smile crossed his lips.

"Your people have been doing good, at the least.  That must be some sort of balm."

“Rumors and innuendo. Speak plainly, if you can. Do you wish to buy your way into Heaven today, my friend?”

Mansu gestures to the front door.

"Drink deeply.  If you follow me out that door, only black brine awaits."

Idly, he tipped the empty wine glass with a calloused finger before stretching and rising.  The gloom outside poured in for a moment as the door opened and shut.