MadCast: A1C_Ju

Are Hotdogs Sandwiches?

Are Hotdogs Sandwiches?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider hotdogs to be sandwiches?

• Hotdogs are sandwiches
    • No

split-top-hot-dog-buns-recipe-easy-bbq-summer-toppings-relish-onions-ketchup-lunch2.png

This New England Style Bun reminds me of sandwich bread. It's also in league with the Poppyseed bun for being the most delicious hot dog bun available. 

This New England Style Bun reminds me of sandwich bread. It's also in league with the Poppyseed bun for being the most delicious hot dog bun available. 

The definition of (n.) sandwich includes meat between two pieces of bread and the verb form also requires an item to be squeezed between two things, so maybe a hotdog is not a sandwich. I don't think one split bun counts as two separate items, despite how "in between" the hot dog might be. 

Then again, I quite enjoy putting peanut butter on one piece of bread, and I still call that a sandwich.

In fortuitous conclusion:

😁

Edited by MadCast: Vyoletta

44 minutes ago, MadCast: Vyoletta said:

The definition of (n.) sandwich includes meat between two pieces of bread and the verb form also requires an item to be squeezed between two things, so maybe a hotdog is not a sandwich. I don't think one split bun counts as two separate items, despite how "in between" the hot dog might be. 

This is what I was going to say as well. Hot dogs are not sandwiches because there is only one single piece of bread involved. Soft tacos are also not sandwiches, nor are wraps, or gyros. Hamburgers are sandwiches, and so are bagels and English muffins if you put the pieces back together after toasting them.

Technically a hot dog is an open-faced sandwich, as well as a pizza. Literally had this debate in culinary school, and TL;DR they define as open faced sandwiches.

ADDENDUM: I do not go around calling a hot dog a sandwich, because a hot dog is a hot dog. It just so happens that the technicality is that is defines as an open faced sandwich.

Edited by MadCast: doublestufforeo

13 minutes ago, MadCast: doublestufforeo said:

Technically a hot dog is an open-faced sandwich, as well as a pizza. Literally had this debate in culinary school, and TL;DR they define as open faced sandwiches.

But are open faced sandwiches still sandwiches, or are they just a pile of food on top of bread?

28 minutes ago, MadCast: Baal said:

But are open faced sandwiches still sandwiches, or are they just a pile of food on top of bread?

Depends on your ranking in the hierarchy of the pedantry club.

10 hours ago, MadCast: doublestufforeo said:

an open-faced sandwich

Which is something different vs a normal sandwich. Apples to oranges. You can't say that loaded fries and poutine are the same thing, and for that matter a hot dog isn't even open. When I think of an open-faced sandwich, I think of something like this:

Image result for open sandwich chicken

Hot dogs are not open or flat, they are a glorified pita pocket (which is also not a sandwich, for the record).

Narrowing the discussion to loaded fries vs. poutine being 'the same thing' is like saying 'I wouldn't call a Rueben a Po' Boy.' Of course, you wouldn't, but that's not the conversation being had. You wouldn't call a Lion a Tiger either, but you would call them both felines. Loaded Fries and Poutine are separate entities that don't have an over-arching classification, though I fail to see how they would not be related- both are fried potato slivers, sauced and topped. This is a taxonomical classification exercise- in the culinary world, are hot dogs a member of the sandwich family or a member of some other family, having evolved separately. 

5 hours ago, MadCast: JigglesTheFett said:

You really think this website stylized by a 7th grader for an HTML project is really going to convince me?

11 hours ago, MadCast: A1C_Ju said:

I’d just like to point out to the non-believers here that the Merriam-Webster Dictionary categorizes hotdogs as sandwiches. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/to-chew-on-10-kinds-of-sandwiches/hot-dog

Please remember to keep the discussion civil. I understand that the truth may hurt. 

They are uncivilized. 

A hot dog is a hot dog, it is not a sandwhich.  You do not call cereal soup simply because you eat it in a bowl with a liquid "base" akin to a broth of soup.  Stop trying to demean hot dogs and group them in with food that is less than a hot dog.  

You do not ask for a sandwhich, and then if somebody asks what kind, your answer would not be, give me a tube shaped meat in one piece of bread.  You would ask for a hot dog.  

Edited by MadCast: Sotarkadin

7 hours ago, MadCast: CoachRivers said:

They are uncivilized

Says the one eating try-hard sausage made from pureed leftover pig parts crammed into molds and then boiled and tossed onto a bland non-small bun and then buried with acidi  toppings anyway so the awful base flavor is covered up.

1 hour ago, MadCast: Kitty Stark said:

Says the one eating try-hard sausage made from pureed leftover pig parts crammed into molds and then boiled and tossed onto a bland non-small bun and then buried with acidi  toppings anyway so the awful base flavor is covered up

Not debating whether hotdogs are good or bad, debating whether they are sandwiches. Fucks sake Kitty, keep up :P

Edited by MadCast: Baal

On 6/7/2019 at 5:16 AM, MadCast: Munsa said:

I think the real question is if sandwiches are just raw, gravyless meat pies.

That is an excellent point.

Along those lines, I had a "Crustless Chicken Pot Pie" recently.

It was a tasty stew. It was not a pot pie. No crust = not a pie