MadCast: Baal

Social Issue: Voting - Right or Responsibility?

1 minute ago, MadCast: Baal said:

If the barrier to vote is too high, it falls on the people who are able to vote to change that.

If someone can't vote because the barrier is too high, how can they vote to change the barrier that is preventing them from voting? If someone gets to have a better vote outcome because they get to vote and others don't, why would they vote against their interests?

Edited by MadCast: VoShay

2 minutes ago, MadCast: Baal said:

it falls on the people who are able to vote to change that.

Trusting that the majority of the population is reasonably fair-minded.

Edited by MadCast: Baal

Just now, MadCast: Baal said:

Trusting that the majority of the population is reasonably fair-minded.

If I recall correctly, a racist tangerine was elected. :snicker: I don't trust nor expect anyone to operate against their best interests, which is why I don't hold a corporation itself accountable for influencing the political discourse and legislative process, but instead those who allowed it that power. 

I am 24 years old and have been active duty in the Air Force for 6 1/2 years. I have never once voted and here’s why. I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils. No candidates I fully support have made it far enough for me to vote for. Example in the last presidential election I supported Dr. Ben Carson, has he made it all the way I would have voted and voted for him. Since he didn’t and I did not fully support either candidate I did not vote. I 100% believe voting or choosing not to vote is your individual right not a responsibility but I also agree with the philosophy of if you don’t vote you don’t get to bitch about the officials in office. 

Edited by MadCast: tacobellah

Awards

I can get behind that.

I do still feel that if writing in a candidate is an option, it should be exercised.

There are also a lot of elections for positions other than the presidency, so, somewhere there is a candidate that lines up with your ideals.

you say this, but this magnificent Penguin took more votes in Edinburgh then one of our major parties. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-scotland-17960490/scottish-council-election-professor-pongoo-beats-lib-dem 
I can't speak for your country, but there is a large amount of discontent here in Scotland and the major parties are stating to take note of it.

Edited by MadCast: majorhoward

On 6/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, ThisMayTickle said:

Are people still under the impression that politicians have anyone's best interests at heart other than their own? 

I know this is a common sentiment, but personally, if i didn't hold on to that hope/impression, i might be dangerously apathetic. if that makes me naive, so be it.

i may not be very vocal when it comes to politics, but at least i'm listening, learning, and making a (small) difference. 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:05 PM, MadCast: Baal said:

Conversation started in the SFM Election thread and I figured I'd make it into its own thing.

I have always viewed voting on any official in any capacity to be more of a responsibility than a right.

Outside of rare cases, not voting only says that you don't care enough to vote, and I have no time for you. 

It has also always been my view that if you don't vote, you have no right to complain about any elected official.

Fight Me

Voicing our opinion whether through voting, protest, journalism etc... has always been and always will be a right.  Choosing not to voice said opinion can sometimes be the best way to make sure yourself heard.  I do agree however, that if you don't vote for anyone, then you cant complain about who's in office.  Except for Trump, cuz that dude has even the people who voted for him scratching their heads...

On 5/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, MadCast: Baal said:

If the action is taken, even in part, by an official you had the option to vote for/against, I say no.

And as far as abstaining as a protest, it accomplishes nothing.

I voted for the first time because I wanted to complain. Which has made me more involved in politics. I think saying that people don't have a right to complain is counterproductive. People complaining is a good conversation starter that will lead to a vote.

Or you can live in the UK and even if the majority votes one way it doesnt matter unless its in line what the MP's want.