Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: doublestufforeo

Celebrating Pride

4 hours ago, MadCast: Usefully Useless said:

but as the targeted demographic (Straight, white male) I don't feel like I should have any more or less of a right or an option to do something as well. As long as it's not a satirical, tongue-in-cheek type of scenario

It's not so much that you don't have the option to. It's that last bit "as long as it's not a satirical, tongue-in-cheek type of scenario", that's the kicker. The people who are planning straight white parades are doing them to literally just have mobile Trump rallies right now. 

Coming back to it, in a "perfect world" scenario, we would rather not be hosting these celebrations of our community, because these things should just be a natural flow in society. But because of the past, we don't use it as this "exclusive" holiday. It's in commemoration of Stonewall, and in regards to the years of bullshit the community has put up with. 

I say that to say this : I am tired of feeling guilty for being happy about being me for what I am.

This is wrong. I don't mean you, I mean in general. I hate that people think that because I am celebrating myself and my community, it means that you can't have an opinion, voice it, or be who you are. That's literally what we've been fighting for, and I don't want you to feel any remorse or guilt for things others have done. On the flip side though, it's nice to see the shoe on the other proverbial foot here. More so in reference to those who do hinder progress, I hope those people feel what we have felt for years; if only for a moment.

I think the only "norm" standard we need to have is how we treat other human beings.

This just comes back to the perfect world scenario, but unfortunately there's always going to be the high school lunch room mentality where you have your groups and cliques. I hate to reference a cartoon in such a serious conversation, but honestly Rick and Morty did it perfectly: 

Image result for nipple race war

People will always find something to hate. 

But I am excellent Baal.  The culture I was brought up in reinforces my moral lifestyle.  That lifestyle is threatened by a growing tide of aberrant behavior that threatens how I think the world should be sorted.

This retreat into general platitudes, or the nebulous shifting of the discussion away from the purpose of Pride to "why can't we all just get along" is obfuscation at best, silencing at worst.  Straight people don't face any increased risk of violence for being straight.  You aren't going to lose a job for being straight.  You won't be denied a housing application because you are straight.  Straight Pride is another extension of reactionary politics that seeks to take away the impact of Pride.

The fact that I'm even talking about Borderlands in a Pride thread just makes me giddy. The game has hinted before in side quests that characters were part of the queer community, but in Borderlands 3 they just put it in your fucking face. It makes me so happy to see queer representation displayed so naturally in a video game.

They make it so simple, the gesture of holding hands in troubled times, or just speaking of the other in a caring manner. (There's even a little easter egg in the art at the end that I won't spoil for anyone.) 

Just thinking about young impressionable me, and if I had more exposure to just how normal being queer is, it would've made things a little bit easier for me growing up. I'm just so happy that's where we are as a society. It sounds sappy, but I legitimately just cried some happy tears last night when I completed the game and saw the character development for them. It was so simple, but such a perfect touch, and it makes me incredibly proud of Gearbox for including it in their game.

For my own selfish, craven wants, I like increased representation in both in-fiction characters and RL creators because it makes for good stories.  It won't last forever, but I think if you are savvy you can consume so much fascinating media from a plethora of creators of all races, orientations, levels of education, etc.  It'll change in time, but it's so easy to access stuff from a variety of content creators right now and it's a shame it's not even more prolific.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, MadCast: Munsa said:

For Example:

Thank you for turning me onto this. I haven't ever seen their videos before, but I'm down the rabbit hole now. 

Oh man, I'm so glad to see a thread like this. Kudos to you doublestufforeo. I saw the first posts on the front page when I first joined, and told Craiden in my initial interview that I was glad to see this site was more open minded (and, for lack of a better word 'liberal') than the last forum I used to visit. It was a forum I read/visited for almost 20 years, all starting from playing Everquest in 99. Unfortunately, over the last few years, the site has become a pretty heavy alt-right site, and I just couldn't take it anymore. I was so tired of the hate on gays, trans, 'the left', sjws, etc.. and being drowned out by the echo chamber of hate if I tried to voice any dissenting opinion. 

While i'm straight myself, I've come to the realization that if I found out a woman I was dating was born post-op trans woman, I don't think I'd have a problem with that. Some more traditionally minded men would likely balk at that idea, claiming it makes me 'gay', but whatever.
I've also always had a fair amount of gay and/or trans friends and I've always been kind of intrigued by gay and trans culture. There's quite a few 'gay' things that I've been into or enjoy, such as music. I only mention these things to give you an idea of where I'm coming from in regards to the topic. 

On 7/2/2019 at 7:35 PM, MadCast: Kitty Stark said:

If I might chip in here, I agree to an extent with this. I strongly believe that, for the most part, gender is a social construct that is simply used to try and keep people in tidy boxes. I don't see any need for clothes to be divided into men and women, or for the colors pink and blue to be used for nearly everything related to baby showers and newborns. I don't care for the belief that boys shouldn't cry, or that female emotions are always over-complicated.

However, I also tend to think that most people who identify as trans may simply be confused or influenced by these very social constructs.

I had to quote this, as it does reflect something I believe to be true. On one hand, there's people trying to break down the social construct of gender (i.e. pink is female, blue is male) but many trans people, especially among trans women, are infatuated with those same social constructs. They are fascinated by society's definition of 'female' or 'girly'. In a perfect world, where your biological sex didn't dictate which of those constructs we expected you to fall into, I think we'd see a lot less true 'trans' and simply more 'girly dudes'.  Not that its very relevant to today's world, as that is a hypothetical fantasy world, but its an interesting philosophical question, none the less. 
I saw that this became a big discussion before, so I want to elaborate further to (hopefully) avoid any confusion. I am NOT saying trans people are 'confused' about actually being trans. What I am saying, is that I think their body dysmorphia and such, stems from the fact that their body doesn't align with what society says it should be for them to act the way they naturally feel. I.e. for a trans woman, if their body was naturally female, then it would be fine for them to be into those things. But, because our society looks down on boys playing with makeup, clothes, high heels, etc.. as that is not a 'manly' thing to do, it magnifies those negative feelings. If there were no preconceived notions of what a man or woman should 'be', then I think some portion of them wouldn't feel so strongly about changing their actual body with surgery. Again, not ALL of them, I'm sure there would still be many who simply hate their body and may not even be into 'girly' things at all. I've just seen or met a large number of trans women who are into hyper-feminine things and aesthetics. The whole drag queen culture is also based on these ideas, for example. 

As for the straight pride parade comments, I pretty much agree with everything you've said, doublestufforeo. Anyone who questions why 'we' (being a cis white hetero male myself) can't have 'white history month' or 'straight pride parades' is being ignorant of the fact that every OTHER day/month are basically those things. I'm half irish, so I might celebrate 'Irish pride', and that would be fine. No one would call me racist for celebrating my Irish heritage. Unfortunately, most black people had their ancestry stolen from them when their ancestors became slaves. They often have no real idea which country their families called home in the past, so 'Black pride' is a way for all of them to celebrate their history. 'Black pride' is the most accurate way they could describe their heritage and it doesn't have hatred behind the idea. 'White pride' is simply based on exclusionary tendencies, though. Similar thing with gay pride, its based on a mutual struggle that is shared among gay people, in an effort to combat marginalization. Straight people aren't marginalized, so there is no reason to celebrate it other then in an effort to mock gay people for doing so. 

Edited by Enzee
missed a word

haha! That guy was great. I was afraid he'd be some kind of a caricature from the thumbnail, but he was very well spoken and eloquent in expressing his ideas. Especially what he said at the end.