MadCast: Sotarkadin

Looking to upgrade

Question

I am looking to upgrade my machine, it's a few years old but nothing too bad.  I am looking to spend less than $1000.  I am not sure what needs to be upgraded if anything but any input would be appreciated.

My current specs:

Processor: i7-6700K @ 4GHz
Ram: 16 GB
Video: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage:  250GB SSD and 2 TB HD

If nothing really needs to upgraded for another year or two then great I don't need to spend any money.  But I am thinking at least adding more RAM going from 16 to 32.

8 answers to this question

RAM is a little low, but other than that, your rig should be fine for a while

I'd wait a bit for any big upgrades, the GeForce 20 series is great, but should have a bit more price dropping left to do.

I would hold off. I am no expert, but that's pretty solid for what's on the market currently unless you want to go VR. 

I would probably wait, and buy a better VR capable card, like a 20series, and get 32 gigs of Ram.

A small quality of life upgrade is for about $200 you could get like a 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 which would speed your entire rig up quite a bit. Assuming your Mobo has a m.2 slot

I'll echo the notes about the GPUs here. Unless you're wanting a power house card for VR, you really shouldn't "need" to upgrade that at all.

AMD will be having new cards with their 7nm architecture out this year most likely. That'll help drive down some costs on the other competitors out there since most will not have that. That means it might be a good time (at that point) to consider a 20 series card. The only thing I would stay away from are the 2080TIs as they're still having some issues with them. Generally only when you're really taxing them out, but problems are problems in my book.

RAM is certainly the biggest place you will get a boost here. Second biggest would likely be a M.2 HDD, ideally NVME if your motherboard supports that. It's important to note that on many motherboards putting a M.2 drive in will disable one of the SATA connections. Just a fair heads up to check on that before going that route.

17 minutes ago, MadCast: Sotarkadin said:

So I checked my mother board and it has a 32Gbit/s M.2 X4 Support, according to the site.

This is the one I am looking at getting.

M2 SSD

Thats exactly the first thing I would do. MAJOR noticeable difference immediately. for sure.

I know people have mentioned it already but I'd hold off on any major items as AMD has announced that mid July we should be seeing things from them (video cards I believe) and their processors coming later this year which means a flood of motherboards with fancy new features if you go that route.  I like the direction people are pointing you thus far (RAM and Hard Drive upgrade).  I've been thinking about getting an M.2 for my system as well.  Let me know what the diff looks like if you get one.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, MadCast: Sotarkadin said:

So I checked my mother board and it has a 32Gbit/s M.2 X4 Support, according to the site.

This is the one I am looking at getting.

M2 SSD

Samsung Evo is the 'enthusiast' HDD brand I recommend everywhere- there are currently 4 of them in my house. That looks like a solid buy to me.