Sign in to follow this  
MadCast: BANJO RL

What Music Genres Do You Listen To? And Why?

Candidate Banjo here!

I am from Indiana and grew up on classic rock. I am also in my 30's. I started to expand to bands like Metallica and Black Sabbath. In my mid teens I found punk music. Not the whiny stuff, the good stuff. Bands like Misfits, Black Flag, and Suicidal Tendencies. I had the mohawk and shitty attitude to match it. I didn't know much about rap but I'll get to that. Also, all this time growing up, I never stopped listening to a certain genre, I just added to my collection. I think it is because I play music. weird punk phase lasted until the end of high school. When I got to college, I heard Old Crow Medicine Show and it made me feel shit I had never felt before. I started this band that revolved around Americana/Folk/Country and played some big shows before I joined the Air Force. It was this time I saw/heard an amazing connection between hip hop and folk. They're both very melodic and speak some of the same truths. I know it sounds crazy... So traditionally, a folk/bluegrass will play around one mic and take turns soloing. This is the same for freestyling. My friends and I would get in a circle, put on an instrumental, and take turns spitting that HAWT FIRE. This isn't my only connection either. The story that is told is also similar. A lot of traditional folk songs are about protest songs, murder ballads, contraband, and love songs. I listen to almost all music. The one thing I could never get behind is stadium/commercial country. To me, it is overproduced and too flashy. Lastly, I have always believed that you are doing yourself a disservice not listening to more genres, especially musicians. Any input is welcome!

I wanted to post this to find out what music you go to and what you stay away from in relation to what you grew up on. 

I personally think that my generation has gone away from the truths and inspirations of rap, and have moved on to the songs about gangs, killings, having plenty of women at the same time, and being prod of all of it. Most new raps are about sex, money, drugs, and success, and I think that says a lot about a generation. Personally the raps that I listen to are known as "lyrical raps" which is a separate category from "Mumble rap". My favorite rappers are 2 Pac (RIP) and J-Cole, Logic, and the one everybody likes, Eminem.

Awards

I have been listening to a lot of alternative rock or poor man's jam bands lately. What I mean by this is older stuff from O.A.R because everything after all sides is shit imo. Dave Matthews Band is up there for me too. A really good indie band that never really signed with a label is a band called Dispatch, they have kept the same sound throughout there entire run. Songs I would recommend by them are The General, Flying Horses, Two Coins, Railway, Elias, and Outloud (if you want anymore listen to their album called Gut the Van). I was raised on classic rock from the 60s to the 80s so I like alot of that music as well. I also agree with Al Shifra on listening to the lyrical rappers, J.Cole is great along with logic, but you cannot forget about biggie and Wu Tang (aint nothing to fuck with) . A lot of Kanye's early stuff is good as well and you have to throw Kid Cudi into that mix. When i play games or write papers for school I like to listen to mashups which is more EDMish, i would recommend White Panda's the pawprint or Two Friends Big Bootie Mix 13. If you would like links let me know.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:58 AM, MadCast: Al Shifra said:

I personally think that my generation has gone away from the truths and inspirations of rap, and have moved on to the songs about gangs, killings, having plenty of women at the same time, and being prod of all of it. Most new raps are about sex, money, drugs, and success, and I think that says a lot about a generation. Personally the raps that I listen to are known as "lyrical raps" which is a separate category from "Mumble rap". My favorite rappers are 2 Pac (RIP) and J-Cole, Logic, and the one everybody likes, Eminem.

I saw Ghostface and Method Man in Chicago. It was amazing. A group that really got my intention was Dead Prez. They have this song called Hell Yea that's good.

2 hours ago, BANJO RL said:

A group that really got my intention was Dead Prez. They have this song called Hell Yea that's good.

Dead Prez also sings the song Hip Hop which is really good.