MadCast: Support Welfare

My most recent woodworking project - Spice Rack

So my latest venture into woodworking had me building a spice rack for my kitchen as I'm trying to learn to cook.  I was going to just buy one off Amazon until I seen how much they are for just the cheap looking wood ones.  I thought to myself, "Hey, I have tools and like to build stuff!".  Thus began my attempt to make my own.  The following is what it looked like at different steps from start to finish.  I ended up basing it off the one I was going to buy from Amazon.  I still spent less money building it than it would have been to buy the thing.  Holy crap they are expensive.  The rack I build can hold 21 glass jars of spices measuring 1.75" x 1.75" x 4".  This thing was SO much fun to build and it really didn't take much time either.  I spent about 4-6 hours a day for 6 days but most of that was time spent waiting for things to dry.

The basic box:

Spice Rack Framework 1.jpg

The basic design:

Spice Rack Framework Design.jpg

The components after stain/lacquer is applied:

Spice Rack Framework 6.jpgSpice Rack Framework 5.jpgSpice Rack Framework 4.jpg

And the final product with everything assembled, glued and backboard in place, with a wide shot of my kitchen sink / stove for size comparison:

Spice Rack Finished Front.jpg

Holy crap your sink looks so clean! 🤣

This looks so precise and pretty, the measuring and cutting for all those slats must have taken a while. The last picture is a bit dark and I'm on mobile so perhaps I'm just not seeing any pegs etc., but I'm confused as to where the spices actually go. I'd like to see it with some jars placed in it so I can understand how they sit on the rack. Regardless, you should be proud of the craftsmanship here!

Looks good man

Love the contrast with your finishes

You may be able to sneak some LEDs around the edges, give it a bit of a backlight glow

Edited by MadCast: Baal

3 hours ago, MadCast: doublestufforeo said:

Spice rack rave parties.

I was thinking more to ease reading the labels without pulling them out but sure :P

Baal I'd say you are a horrible person for suggesting leds but you didn't say rgb leds so it's ok. Lol

As far as how much I saved: the ones I was looking at on Amazon were between 70 - 200 bucks for the size I went with. I put about 50-60 bucks into materials, stains, and lacquer. So I saved a good amount there. @MadCast: Epic

Here you go @MadCast: Kitty Stark

20190817_094309.jpg

On 8/18/2019 at 4:19 PM, MadCast: VoShay said:

Time to get an Etsy account. :snicker:

Haha I was just about to say the same. And Pinterest.

But that's not a dig! It's a compliment! Those who can make such things deserve recognition and if desired, remuneration!

Nice work, it looks really neat. My dad does a lot of stuff like, he made a bunch of furniture for their house. Sadly i never picked any of his crafty skills