LizzieJay

Let's talk about anime!

Hello there! The other night, me and some people in the Destiny channel on Discord started talking about anime, and I thought I’d start a thread in order for a bunch of people to share what shows they think other people might want to check out (beyond the classic suggestions of Dragon Ball, One Piece, Attack on Titan, or Fullmetal Alchemist).

My tastes are a bit varied (some slice of life, some fantasy, some sports anime, some high school set stories), so hopefully there’ll be something that’ll interest most people who check out the post. I’ll try and quickly summarize it without giving too much away. Most of these will be available to watch on legal sites like Crunchyroll, Funimation, or Netflix for the US/CA crowd, others might want to give it a Google as I know there are different anime streaming sites in different countries.

Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope: set in the 1960’s, it’s one of those thoughtful heart-warming but heart-breaking stories of two very different high school students discovering they have 1 thing in common: music. (12 episodes)

Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon: not really sure what he wants to do with his life, Hachiken enrolls in an agricultural high school in Hokkaido, knowing nothing about farming or livestock, and proceeds to have his mind blown over and over. (2 seasons, 11 episodes each)

Anasatsu Kyoushitsu/Assassination Classroom: after the moon is suddenly turned into a premanent cresent shape, a class of middle school students is tasked with assassinating the monster who caused it to happen, who also happens to be their new teacher. (2 seasons, 22 and 25 episodes)

Amaama to Inazuma/Sweetness and Lightning: a super sweet story about a widower trying to continue on after the death of his wife and ends up bonding with a high school student while trying to find a nutritious meal for his young daughter. Note: this show will make you hungry. (1 season, 12 episodes)

Haikyuu!!: the trials and tribulations and long matches of a high school boys volleyball team. I know, sports anime can drag on sometimes, but the characters in this one makes it worth it for me. (3 seasons, 25, 25, and 10 episodes, with the 4th season starting in the new year)

My Hero Academia: if you like superheroes, you might want to give this a watch. It can get pretty serious at times, there is some good honest fighting crime/life or death talk. The first few episodes lead into the overall story so it might be a little boring, but I won’t blame you for skipping them. (2 seasons, 13 and 25 episodes, with the 3rd season currently airing)

Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san: sometimes hilarious, sometimes depressing, and always honest stories of customers, co-workers, and general working retail struggles from the point of view of a bookstore employee. (1 season, 12 episodes)

Kimetsu no Yaiba/Demon Slayer: set in a time similar to the early 1900’s, the story of a young man who returns home to find his family slaughtered and his sister a demon. He’s on a mission to join the Demon Slayer Corps, to defeat the demon who killed his mother and siblings, and to find a cure for his sister. (1 season, 26 episodes, with a movie of the next story arc out in 2020)

Plus there’s way more titles I could list, shows like Tsuritama, Blue Exorcist, Tokyo Ghoul, Cells at Work, Tsurune, Kill la Kill, Waiting in the Summer, Phi Brain, Gingitsune, Mushishi, Dororo, Land of the Lustrous, Barakamon, Bungo Stray Dogs, Uchoten Kazoku 1 and 2, and the new Fruits Basket remake. Also, the absolutely heartbreaking movie Koe no Katachi (quick note, this movie does discuss bullying/assault, suicide, and death, so heads up for anyone uncomfortable with those topics).

So, there’s a bunch of titles for people to check out. And I’d love to know what you’d suggest I check out, if I haven’t mentioned it here.

:)

Dragonball through Dragonball Z is my favorite anime of all time.  Judge me if you want, but I won't deny that there's nothing that beats it in my mind.  Even Dragonball Super has been ok.

Awards

Love me some anime and I'll have to try to dig up kids on the slope. Is that subbed or is there a dubbed version ( I know filthy casual here =P)

Counter recommendations 

Given -  the daily struggle of 4 high school students and their band.  Solid music great story only 11 episodes. =(

Carol and Tuesday - A runaway and a refugee united in their love of music . brought to you by the creator of such inspired classics as Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy this is an absolute must see also the musical score is again out of this world

Himoto! Umaru-chan -  an anime about the duality created by societal expectation centering on the perfect student who becomes the most lazy creature when no one is around to put up the show for. a Light hearted comedy fun and easy to digest.

Future Diary - a dark Battle royale between 12 individuals who are gifted diaries that let them see the future. viewers be advised this series while at times light has no issue and frequently dives into darker subject matter and would probably have done well to cut the last episode or 2 otherwise a great watch.

Chobits - in a world where your personal data assistant has become more human than tablet we follow the story of a poor high school boy and the persicom he dug out of a trash heap. If you can get through the first couple episodes which are incredibly fan service-y you will be rewarded with a sweet ,sad ,and heartwarming story of personal growth for both characters.

And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online? -  An mmo junkie proposes in game only to find out that the player on the other end is crossplaying. He swears off online relations convinced its a sea of men until his guild arranges for a RL  meet up.  

Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist  - its dirty ,it's cringy, it's hilarious not giving ya anymore then that  =P

Awards

For @MadCast: narucabra, as far as I know, there is a dub of Kids on the Slope. And no worries, you watch however you want to watch. :)

And (if you haven't seen it) here's a counter-counter rec for And You Thought There Is Never a Girl Online, one called Recovery of an MMO Junkie. It's about a newly unemployed 30-year-old woman who decides to now spend her days playing a rather dashing male hero in an MMO. It's a bit different, the characters are all adults and it's only 10 episodes, but I still enjoyed it. There's also a dub of this as well.

I'm back with more anime recs! Both of these are currently airing, so if you do want to check them out you'll have to wait week to week.

First is Fire Force. It's about Shinra, a new recruit to the Fire Force's Company 8. He joins the team going around defeating monsters born out of spontaneous human combustion. Or so they think. There's a deeper meaning to what's been going on in the city. The world-building is pretty cool, the action scenes are fluid and well-animated. But I could do without the occasional fan service moments, they bring down the whole tone of the show for me.

Second is Ascendance of a Bookworm. A young librarian dies suddenly and is transported to another world and into the body of a sickly 5 year old girl. Desperate to get back to a life full of books, she sets out on a long mission to make them, as in this world, paper is expensive and not everyone knows how to read or write. It's a gentle, laid-back kind of show that makes me laugh.

I just want to mention my all-time favorite anime/manga, Ino x Boku SS! It's a wholesome mixture of adventure, romance, tragedy. and comedy that is along the same lines as Fruits Basket. It's actually a pretty short story overall, with just 11 manga volumes translated into 12 standard anime episodes. Even the opening song is a jam, and the animation is so creative~

My Roommate is a Cat- episodes are short and sweet. It will give you the feels. The last few minutes of the episode are told from the cat's perspective, which is actually really funny. Here's a clip from cat's perspective. The whole episode the main character had been depressed/ being busy novelist at his computer, and also didn't know why he kept stepping on cat food. 

Edited by MadCast: Cloud
fixed link

I really enjoyed My Roommate is a Cat, it was always fun to see the two of them worry about each other in very similar ways while also being so confused when it came to caring about someone.

And that Inu x Boku SS OP gave me flashbacks, it's such a good song. These days I'm all about the 1st opening song for Dororo.