MadCast: Munsa

MadCast Living D&D5E

or, Who would like to play some non commital D&D?

Due to RL ramping up in full for a couple of the game runners, Blades on the Path fell by the wayside.  A couple of FMs approached me over the interceding months and asked if we could still do some brand of FM facing D&D at MadCast.  I would like to oblige that interest, and give everyone who does not have access to a regular group or has no idea where to begin an opportunity to play this wonderful game.

The way it will work is this:  Everyone who wants will be invited to a game on Roll20, where myself and any/all other veteran D&D players will help you create a character and go over basic examples of play.  Once we get everyone who is interested set up with a character and a basic understanding of the rules, I will run groups of 3-5 FMs or Candidates through crafted scenarios that provide a series of challenges and rewards.  At the end of each scenario, Experience Points, Loot, and other rewards will be divided up by the players and recorded on each individual sheet for use the next time that player attends a session.

Unlike a typical D&D campaign, where there is a more direct narrative involving the same roster of players, this will be a broader, less narrative focused experience that is designed to be repeatable for a diverse array of players.  I will save all the assets/maps/challenges I create so that everyone can theoretically have a chance to play through all of the content.  Each session will be anywhere from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours at the outset, and players who have already completed a given mini-venture can play again with their earned advancement with newer players, with the minor penalty of a reduction in end of session XP/Loot to avoid anyone spiraling too far off the power curve.

Should this gain momentum, I will begin to take elements of your characters and incorporate them into the scenarios I create.  Maybe one or two of you choose to play Barbarians, and a later scenario involves the tribe you come from asking for help or maybe even invading the homeland of another group of characters.  Maybe a scenario could be made around finding a cure for a specific character's dying (and stinking rich) distant relative.  Anyone who shows up and contributes, I will gladly steal what you make to create more content for us to enjoy.

If you are worried or trepidatious about the Roleplaying side of things, don't be.  This is not designed to be a story heavy experience from the outset.  This is about having your own character and doing high fantasy heroics with your community members.  We will have lots of combat, puzzles, and direct challenges that will not require you to come up with an entirely new persona with a richly detailed backstory that you have to portray realistically.  This is going to be about fun and lots of player death.  Fun.

To be realistic with my time, I envision I could run 2-3 sessions a month at the outset.  Running D&D like this will be a new experience for me, though I've run a ton of tabletop for my regular group.  I don't want to over-commit until I have an idea of what the ongoing workload will be like.  As of this posting, I have a single scenario designed for 1st-2nd level characters nearly completed that should take about 2 hours to play through, depending on the dice and how each party plays.

I don't want to promise the moon, I just want to give anyone and everyone who wishes a chance to play D&D with their community members.  So, if you are a Full Member or Candidate and you either want to play more D&D or want to try it for the first time, indicate your willingness below. 

Things you can do right now:

• Sign up for an account on Roll20.  This will be needed to get you in the game and assist in character creation.
  • While we will not be using the limited character classes from these rules The Beginner's Rules can be skimmed to give you a basic understanding of the game.
    This is by no means mandatory.  Rules can often be best learned and taught directly through play, and I enjoy doing so.  If you like doing some prep, the option is there.

Things not to worry about

• Creating your character:  Roll20 has a user and new player friendly creation system that gives you all the information you need as you click through it.
  • "I've never played before!" - This is going to be tailor made for you to get comfortable with the D&D5E system!

Hi, not a full (or any other type of) member but I am an experienced player and DM for DnD 5e and other systems. Am currently running two games and playing in 3 others. One of those games (The Strange, Cyper system) has just ended and I have been considering leaving my fortnightly Sunday afternoon game.

So with that out of the way I'd be happy to help or even run sessions to ease the lift. That said I have never used Roll20 as a DM but would be happy to learn.

Edited by Kalilstrom (Kal)
my fucking spelling. damn

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add the Roll20 Join link.

https://app.roll20.net/join/5392426/ht2Sgw

This will join you to the MadCast D&D game I made.  Once you've joined, I can make a character page for you.  If you are familiar with D&D already, feel free to create any 1st level character you wish, with as much backstory and personality as you wish to create.

If you'd like to create characters in a group setting, once we have a handful of people raring to go, we will hop in Discord and get it done.

At this time, MadCast Living D&D will be for Full Members and Candidates only.  Sorry Kal, but feel free to go to this subforum to learn about our joining process.

Howard and Kitty have been set up with character pages in the Roll20.

If your roll20 account name is different from your MadCast name, please drop me a line so I can ensure everyone is set up properly.

Once we get a handful of signees and get characters made, I will run our first session!

Oh, I would really recommend the Beyond 20 chrome extension, it links a character made in the DnD Beyond to Roll20. Allowing rolls to be made in the DnD Beyond Character sheet and show in Roll20. Simple and pretty elegant

Edit: Ok Munsa, no worries and thanks for clarifying

Edited by Kalilstrom (Kal)

MUNSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA INVITE ME!

I have a D&D Beyond account with just about all relevant information unlocked. I don't want to GM right now, though. I would love to play some. 

Everyone who has logged in to the Roll20 has a controllable character sheet.

I just helped Quanta get through character creation, and his Hexblade Warlock promises to bring some pain.  I'll be around most of the next few evenings to assist with character creation, and I would like to run our first session on either Monday 11/11 or Tuesday 11/12.

Do we have four souls available on either of those nights?

Wonderous to see a few more signees as I log into Roll20.

Everyone has a character sheet available.  For those that wish to make their characters on their own, we are using the standard 27 point buy system.  A user friendly calculator for these scores can be found here.

Tonight I'm either running my FATE game OR some of your fellow MadCasters are helping me dry run the first scenario I've made for Living D&D.  Feel free to drop by!

Tonight I'll be running our first scenario with a couple of my Tabletop regulars.  We usually start around Midnight EST, but if you want to show up in between 10-12 for help on your character and even jump in with some vets at gametime, we will have 1-2 slots for play.

I won't be working so late after tonight, and will be down for some shenanigans whenever you are!

Don't worry...I didn't roll a gnome barbarian this time...or a pact of the blade warlock

Oath of the Ancients Paladin ftw!