MadCast: Epic

Game of Thrones....

Ah, but we've previously seen Arya's face on Jaqen right before she went blind. Also, when Arya was walking to the bridge, she walked right by a girl dressed exactly as she used to when she was selling oysters. Same hairdo and everything. It's enough to give a man pause.

Additionally, at the end of last episode Arya was cowering and paranoid in the sewer(?). This episode she is confidently striding about the city flaunting big bags of gold at a ship captain.

Nothing has ever been stated about the faceless men requiring a person to be dead to "wear" their face.  I have always assumed that they simply assume whichever look they want.  The faces are just there to help them remember what the faces look like.  It is a mystical ability, not one which requires them to carry people's faces around with them.  Afterall, their bodies also change, not just their faces.

Finally A girl is No one. 

A girl  is Arya Stark of winterfell, and i am going home. 

Best line of all season. 

Edited by Izak

29 minutes ago, MadCast: rife170 said:

0By the old gods and the new, last night's episode was fucking awesome. 

I'm 100% certain that is the most intense medieval battle scene I have ever seen.

SPOILERS BELOW:

I agree, that might be the best episode yet.  At least it is the first I was immediately tempted to rewatch.

However, It was marred by some stupidity on behalf of some major players.

1. To echo the entire internet ... zig zag buddy, zig zag.

2. Jon deciding to solo charge the enemy line?  That is just completely out of character.  Also, charging an archer instead of just having your men drop him?  Stupid risks throughout from Mr. Snow.

3. I can't decide whether Sansa is an idiot for failing to mention the reinforcements to Jon ... or brutally cold and calculating.  I suppose that if Jon knew of the reinforcements he wouldn't have taken the field, and wouldn't have been able to lure Ramsay out of Winterfell.  Ramsay would have learned of the reinforcements and they would have had to settle in for a siege.

Also, Munsa is clearly a witch.  RIP Giant.

I thought it got a little impressionistic with the 15 foot tall and even more deep/wipe pile of bodies.  I liked the visuals though, particularly the little tableau of Jon avoiding suffocation.

The Vale showing up was interesting.  I feel like Sansa was really showing what she learned from the various chessmasters she's come in contact with.  It's a little sad that she's been turned so cold that she feels she has to play those games with her brother.  I could be extrapolating a bit much, but I expect the issue of Jon being angry with Sansa over not being straightforward with him to come up next season.

Ramsey's death was satisfying,  Wun Wun went out like a champ, but I'm most excited that the potential best love triangle ever is still intact.  Ginger pride.

The scene between Danaerys and Yara was perfect.  I really think Theon should have dropped trou and shown the price he paid for his crimes, but c'est la vie.  The subtle themes of a gelded man listening in on two powerful women negotiating is wonderfully subversive.  I liked Greyworm's little surprise slashing, and finally getting some real Dragon action was siiiiick. Danaerys' Army Rundown was a good info dump, and I expect a tease shot of the Night King's forces for comparison in the finale.

The hype for next episode, though not what I had anticipated, is no less strong.  I really, really like how they have interpreted the character of Qyburn, and I expect another angry internet ragefest over travel times when Varys shows up and the scene proving the loyalty of his little birds plays out.  

Man, I was freaking out at my tv last week. Almost give me a heart attack. Love that episode giving it a 10/10. Here to the finals. See ya all next week.

i honestly think this was the best episode of any show i have ever watched.  I truly expect it to win awards.  The battle on the field was as the directors sought on par with historical facts and tactics.  The chaos was great and the feeling of losing only to win is awesome. Here some insight into the history of the battle.

To history buffs, much of this battle might feel familiar. Classics scholars probably did a double-take at that shield wall, which they would have correctly recognized as a Macedonian phalanx. Fully developed by Philip II of Macedon and used by his son Alexander the Great to conquer most of Persia, it refers in broad terms to a military arrangement formed by several rows of men bearing those large shields seen in Sunday’s episode. They use the spears to stab through the “wall,” which is essentially impenetrable.

Those history buffs might also have noticed the familiar strategy employed by Ramsay — pulling Jon’s entire army into a disoriented, bloody mass and encircling it with fresh, organized soldiers. Called the “pincer movement” or “double entrapment,” it is a tactic that has been used in many battles over the years, including the 1415 Battle of Agincourt, on which the scene was originally going to be based.

But “needs changed,” so Sapochnik chose to base it on what might be the most famous example of the strategy: the Battle of Cannae during the Second Punic War, in which a small army led by Hannibal defeated a tremendous Roman army in 216 B.C.

Sapochnik told Entertainment Weekly:

Initially we based BOB on the battle of Agincourt which took place between the French and English in 1415. But as needs changed, as did budgets, it became more like the battle of Cannae between the Romans and Hannibal in 216 BC.

In that famous battle, Hannibal led a Carthaginian army of about 50,000 soldiers. The Romans had almost twice that. Just as in the show, the armies met in two straight lines, but while the Romans’ line grew disoriented in the chaos, the Carthaginian line widened to a crescent. Hannibal’s soldiers slowly encircled the Romans, as cavalry sneaked up behind the fighting men to close the circle and, eventually, slaughter most of the Romans.

And, unlike in Jon’s case, the Romans did not have a Littlefinger/Sansa-led deus ex machina waiting around the corner.

Edited by Doombringer

Awards

What bothered me about the way they did it was that it was done entirely by heavy infantry.  It looked so clunky that way. The double envelopment usually requires a mobile element to seal the trap that fast...

Just...seeing a double envelopment done by phalanxes, of all things, felt so...incogruous...

Agree Crazncanuck... it almost felt like Jon's army just sat around and waited for the other army to get into place before deciding to attack the shield wall.  When you compare it the final battle scene of "The Last Samurai" or to most of the battle scenes in "Braveheart", this one felt... forced.  I definitely think budget costs hurt the value of this scene.

Edited by MadCast: Angelix

The battle was spectacular to watch, despite being predictable. The show used to leave one or two subtle hints at what was coming. Now they are screaming in your ear about what's coming. Don't forget about Littlefinger in the Vale with all these mounted knights. Littlefinger visits Sansa to tell her that he wants to help her. Sansa writes a letter to someone, who could it be? They have done the same with wildfire this season. Bran had a vision about it, Tyrion told Dany about her father's plans to burn down the city with it, Cersei had Qyburn investigate a rumor in the city which he confirmed. 

Awards

good god,  all these big words!  the episode was GRRRRREATTTT!  I had to say it bc it left Tony the Tiger Speechless!  lol

Awards

15 hours ago, MadCast: Angelix said:

Agree Crazncanuck... it almost felt like Jon's army just sat around and waited for the other army to get into place before deciding to attack the shield wall.  When you compare it the final battle scene of "The Last Samurai" or to most of the battle scenes in "Braveheart", this one felt... forced.  I definitely think budget costs hurt the value of this scene.

it's what's predictably going to happen if you try to shoehorn Cannae onto Agincourt.

I'd encourage you guys to rewatch the battle scene, and revisit your thoughts on the envelopment being 'forced. 

A. Everyone was already fighting in a relatively small pocket, blocked off from the forward line by the slightly unrealistic corpse wall.

B. Formation was completely broken, all of the battle commanders are in the melee and unhorsed, meaning they can't get coherent orders to their troops.
C. It's implied that they've been fighting for quite some time. Melee combat is EXTREMELY exhausting. If you're going to be a stickler for realism, many of those men shouldn't be able to lift their swords. Jon Snow has god-like endurance in that regard.

When the Bolton reserve forces roll in, those are fresh soldiers marching at full speed under unified command. The Stark forces, even if they can see what's happening, only had a few seconds to react. Even if they had recognized what was happening with unimpeded sight of the battlefield, they had no way to make a unified charge to wedge through the quickly forming phalanx. 
Out of all the things you could nitpick about that amazing battle scene, I think the envelopment itself is at the bottom of the list. 
We're watching a show with magic and dragons people. Give them your suspense of disbelief.

Also, the finale was fucking awesome, and I called the shit out of Arya making it to the twins to give Walder Frey that sweet, sweet, justice. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree =)

Suspension of disbelief is what you apply in order to accept elements of a story that while impossible (or exceedingly unlikely) to occur in real life are nevertheless accepted as true by all readers... such as superhuman powers in X-men. It isn't something that you paste over plot holes or logical fallacies as a band aid to make the story work.

Others may not take issue with the battle.  I have a different perspective on that.  I'm not going to say that I am right and they are wrong, but I also can't help how I look at that scene. There were a number of factors that struck me as off, not just how the phalanx was set up (why on earth, for example, did the giant not wield a tree trunk club?).  I still love the show... just not that one battle.

There is one thing that I want to see come to fruition, warning super spoilers.

Spoiler

I wanted to see if Margaery was in it for the long con. I really wanted to see what she was planning on doing, whatever it was it was going to be diabolical. And now the Tyrell bloodline has ended.