MadCast: Epic

Game of Thrones....

After letting that episode marinate and giving it a second watch, I'm really impressed at how efficient the story telling was.  I had criticisms of the latter episodes of season 7 that their narrative convenience/contrivance got a bit extreme.  The escape from the North really stretched my suspension of disbelief in a way that the show had not done prior.  This ep did a lot with a little.  I particularly like whenever the Dragons are just there and not ravening armies, and they were used oh so cleverly.

Everywhere people are hating while I am enjoying the fun. It is supposed to be a disaster that disappoints everyone, that is what GRRM has been doing the whole time. It truly is a place where no character is safe and the unexpected can happen. Next week is going to be glorious, I might even win my pool because I bet against the popular people.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:47 PM, MadCast: QuantaMentat said:

Everywhere people are hating while I am enjoying the fun. It is supposed to be a disaster that disappoints everyone, that is what GRRM has been doing the whole time. It truly is a place where no character is safe and the unexpected can happen. Next week is going to be glorious, I might even win my pool because I bet against the popular people.

I feel like this episode is what they have been rushing/forcing towards, so I too am oddly excited.  Any fight scenes left should hopefully be squad based or personal, so I'm hoping for some better character beats.

2 hours ago, MadCast: Usefully Useless said:

Well this pretty much sums it up for me:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/game-of-thrones/s08

"A series that took the world by storm ended with just a whimper"

Warning Super Spoilers Below

Spoiler

I always expected it to go out like a whimper. My exact bet was everyone important would die and Sansa would be the only person of power left. I was close, minus Jon Snow's final fate and who would sit on the throne. My theory was based around the thought that nobody would win the "Game of Thrones". I will go into more detail to make this less of a spoiler after a few weeks so people can catch up and watch it.

1 hour ago, MadCast: QuantaMentat said:

Warning Super Spoilers Below

Reveal hidden contents

I always expected it to go out like a whimper. My exact bet was everyone important would die and Sansa would be the only person of power left. I was close, minus Jon Snow's final fate and who would sit on the throne. My theory was based around the thought that nobody would win the "Game of Thrones". I will go into more detail to make this less of a spoiler after a few weeks so people can catch up and watch it.

I'm not disappointed in the who, I am disappointed in the fact of how. The reason I fell in love with Got was because of the complexity of the characters and the unpredictability of the storytelling. 

This season, characters have become oversimplified and the plots are ultra predictable. I have no issues with who dies in the final season.. my resentment lies in the lack of grand climax for events and characters who have been built up for seasons, only to result in anti-climatic twists and endings. This theme progressively gets worse as the season goes on and it looks to be reflected in the link I posted. 

Clearly, the production value is off the charts. Music and cinematography is absurdly good. Acting is top notch. The writing, however, doesn't match up. They seemed to have gotten lost and tried to scramble and tie up loose ends at the end.  

All good things must come to an end I suppose.

Awards