MadCast: Epic

Game of Thrones....

Just to prove that they got the right guy for The Mountain:

That is insane...

The mountain is just soo freakishly strong.. Like really.. Can't say too much but.. If there is one Game of Thrones character I would never want to meet it is him.. You'll know Why I'm saying this if you've seen the latest episode of season 4

Awards

Yeah, they finally got the right actor for Gregor Clegane.

Big, BIG spoilers hidden, be wary those who haven't read ALL the books.

Of course, he's worm food next episode or the season finale.  I love how they made sure to make mention very early in the season of Oberyn's aptitude with poison.

Also, I wonder if Gregor's actor will be kept on hand to play Ser Robert Strong, Qyburn's Monster.  I am fucking chomping at the bit for Qyburn.  I am a Mad Scientist fan at heart, and the whole Victor Frankenstein without the moral dilemma is just so delicious.

Also, let it be know right now, I am calling the final stinger for the finale.

Picture a battlefield strewn with the corpses of Frey soldiers.  The camera slow begins panning up and over the ground, to reveal the victorious Brotherhood without Banners.  They survey their work with grim satisfaction and, to the man, they all slowly look behind them.  The camera moves past them to a feminine figure in a shroud.  The camera ponderously moves forward, slowly rotating around this figure.  The first glimpse of flesh we see is gray, devoid of warmth.  A ragged wound, so deeply crimson as to appear black.  The camera pulls back to reveal...

Undead Catelyn Stark.  She came back wrong, and every Frey better kiss their ass goodbye. 

Second to last scene:
Tyrion killing Tywin. We'd get the Rain's of Castamere playing as Tyrion walks out of the privy for the final shot. Slow zoom to Tywin's corpse, then flash cut to the Frey scene

Traditionally with the series we've seen episode 9 being the big death or event for the season. 

Season 1- Ned Stark

Season 2- The Battle of King's Landing

Season 3- Red Wedding

Season 4- Tywin Lannister.

Episode 10 is going to be a slice from every current arc, but I suspect Dany and Jon S. will have some extra time.

Interesting, but I think the big episode 9 death will be Ygrittes. I believe tomorrows episode will be exclusively at the wall.

The problem is that, unlike the Battle for King's Landing, the entirety, ENTIRETY of this whole scene is so that Stannis has somewhere to go.  There is nothing being resolved here, save for cleaning up Jon Snow's character advancement devices so he can move on.  Sam got some dev, which was good, and someone got murdered with a hammer, which was metal as fuck.  I suppose for those who don't have the books as a backdrop none of this really applies, but I thought even for the show, which has traditionally done a good job with framing the violence with context (or making a straight homage to Pulp Fiction like in the Season 4 Opener), there nothing making this battle particularly important to the story.

So they tried to make a Peter Jackson epic battle, and failed.

I'm gona have to disagree with you there Munsa, I thought it was a fantastic episode

Overall, I've felt the war-time action scenes have been pretty lacking since the Blackwater episode.
Everyone in the series talks about war, trains for war and practically live their lives for war ... so its nice to actually see that action take place. That was why this episode worked well with me and why I felt this kind of structure is justified in the context of story.

In terms of nothing being resolved, again I have to disagree. The battle for Castle Black is a huge turning point in the Jon storyline. It's the end of the Ygritte storyline (RIP) as well as one of Jon's first opportunities for leadership which will develop more in the next episode (hopefully). Granted, there's less overall development in this episode then most weeks, but the future Jon storyline arguably has the most going on. Most of those arcs originate from this battle and tonight's episode (Jon Snow leadership, Jon Snow vs Allister Thorn, Janos Slynt, Sam and Gilly, Dolorous leadership, Ygritte's death, Tormund's capture, etc.) and should be developed upon in the coming episodes / season 5

Overall, I'd say this episode rates on par with the Blackwater - though its obviously no Red Wedding!

A couple of shout-outs as well :D

Editors: There was a brilliant 360 camera maneuver when Jon entered the fight. By far probably one of the best camera moves I've seen to date.
Kit Harrington: I realize its all synchronized, but DAMN he can moves well in the fights! Power moves only!
Rose Leslie: I know there's been some controversy over her portrayal of Ygritte, but I thought she was awesome from beginning to end! Heart-wrenching death scene - though I would've liked to have heard the line "Is this a real castle? " at some point

Edited by MadCast: ScarFace

I would also have to agree with scarface

The way john snow leaded the night's watch during utter chaos was really good .. In the future episodes he is elected as the leader of the knights watch.. For me this is quite a good episode with a lot of emotions also rolled into the action which is a plus point .. the emotions didnt overshadow the chaos in the fight.. and also at the end when john finds his friends killed by the giant but also the giant killed was very heart touching how they stood and didnt lose their ground until the very end .. I really liked the episode to be honest

Awards

I'm totally one of those people that have to constantly ask my spouse "who is that guy?", "am I supposed to know them?" due to awful facial recognition and everyone basically just being a bearded guy, but totally one of my favorite shows.  I liked the last episode a lot.  I appreciate some episodes basically just being ACTION since a lot of the show is character interaction (which I also love).  As someone who hasn't read the books, I thought it was great!  But after the trial by combat where I basically belligerently yelled at the screen for Oberyn to stop dicking around, it fell a little short for me.  I'm sure my husband enjoyed how I was reacting to that scene, being a smug reader of the books. :P

Awards